Barcodes suddenly not recognized in POS

Chris_Luke
Excursionist
21 0 4

Hopefully this is a one-time problem.

I received my 7ci barcode scanner on wednesday and updated all my inventory with barcodes in the Product edit screen and printed barcodes out too.  Synced the scanner with my iPad in iOS mode, everything worked great.  

I came to the shop today and suddenly most barcodes were not recognized by POS - the red error message popped down.  I reset and re-paired the scanner, quit the app, same problem.  I switched the scanner to "keyboard mode" to verify what the barcodes said and they were all correct when scanned into Notes.  

In the Shopify backend, all of my product variations had the correct barcode typed in. Again, it was puzzling that seemingly 95% of my barcodes didn't work, yet a few still did - no major changes were made in the backend previously. And the barcodes did appear in the backend like normal for each variation - just that the POS didn't recognize them. 

To fix the problem I had to go through each variation and re-save them on my iPhone Shopify app - nothing else worked.  But just going into the variation and saving it (without changing anything) then closing the POS app on the iPad and re-opening, the barcodes now worked.

If this happens every day, this is obviously a problem and I just spent $400+ on barcode printer and scanner for nothing.  

Please advise.

0 Likes
Andrew_Paliga
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
233 0 29

Hi Chris,

I have never seen anything like this happen. I took a look at your barcodes and it seems like you are using alphanumeric codes with hyphens. When we designed the implementation for numeric barcodes. If this keeps happening (I don't see why it would though) then a switch to numeric barcodes might be worth considering. 

Hope this helps,

0 Likes
Daniel_Pan
1 0 0

Hello Shopify,

For my products with bar codes that don't have hyphens, I am also getting the unrecognized bar codes message when I scan through the POS.  I am updating the barcodes now and one example we can test is Montana Hardcore2 Apple Green. 

Please help!

Dan

0 Likes
Andrew_Paliga
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
233 0 29

Hi Daniel,

I can't see anything wrong with how your product is configured. The best step now would be to call our support number and troubleshoot with one of our excellent commerce gurus. They will be able to get you up and running in no time.

0 Likes