CANADA Tap and Chip 1st day with the NEW POS

ATPRO
Tourist
3 0 5

Visa - good.

Mastercard - Good.

Debit / interac - Unsupported Chip Card under $100. Can't tap over $100 and my moneris terminals don't connect to the Shopify POS anymore.

Can someone help me accept debit and interac with Shopify please.

Just picked up a new IPAD and three of the tap and chip readers for our workshop and store.

Debit is a must and we need to accept more than $100.

Thank you.

GlassHeather
Excursionist
12 0 8

Did you get a solution for this? We're in the same boat. We need to accept debit purchases over $100.

ATPRO
Tourist
3 0 5

We were able to continue accepting debit by reverting one of our stations to the classic shopify POS since this still works with Moneris.

It's a huge pain in the a$$ when the customer pulls out a debit card here now... especially since we normally have encouraged debit all along.

There are some business debit cards and visa debit cards that are not accepted even under $100!!! These cards are issued by the biggest banks in Canada.

We have heard nothing from Shopify support or on the forums so we have moved on from Shopify POS and will be moving to a desktop and android based provider starting next week.

3 brand new tap and chip readers, 2 x moneris terminals, and two ipads will be retired here very soon becuase of this oversight.

A damn shame.

Cheers

Taylor

0 Likes
gerrylamarche
2 0 1

Us too, is there an answer on another thread?

0 Likes
trapunto
Tourist
9 0 16

We got our iPad stand, had the Tap & Chip reader for a while and finally went to give it a go seeing that pin was added... but for credit only. Any time a customer tries to insert their card for a purchase over $100 it says "Interac can only be used for tap". This means that all Canadian customers buying $100+ of product, cannot use debit on the tap & chip hardware. 

I did speak to support as I couldn't believe what I was seeing and I was assured that PIN for debit purchases is in the works. The timeline is for November before the mandatory switch from POS Classic to the new POS. "Haddin (Support Advisor): While we do not have an official timeline on when PIN support for the Canadian Tap & Chip will be available, we're working hard to finish the certifications required to get it released. We are hoping to have it out in the next month or so, and will be sure to announce when we've released it."

I was also told that if you are currently using a Moneris terminal, you WILL NOT be forced to change to the new POS and can remain using Classic until the PIN usability is sorted out. 

"Haddin (Support Advisor): Alright. As you're using a Moneris terminal, you are exempt from the mandatory change and can continue to use POS Classic for the time being until Moneris support is added to the all-new POS. As a result, if the PIN functionality is not available in time for November 1st, you can simply continue to use POS Classic until the PIN support is released."

I hope that helps some folks as I was very concerned about this forced update leaving many of us in a lurch or forced to use something else.

PegNorman
Tourist
4 0 1

Shopify lied to us.  They misrepresented the chip and tap reader to Canadian users. They were never able to accept a debit card purchase over $100.  We eventually were told that it was a “regulatory issue”.  
This was after we were instructed by shopify to return a “defective “ reader, multiple phone calls a d time wasted.  
We’ve switched to square for all in store purchases.  

ATPRO
Tourist
3 0 5

We were dealing with Moneris support way back when we first "upgrade" to the new Shopify POS.

We thought it was a problem with the terminal linking to the IPAD but of course we find out Moneris doesn't integrate anymore so we get three Shopify tap and chip readers and now we can't accept payments from our customer when they try to use their bank card. These are cards issued by the biggest banks in Canada...

Recently Moneris reached out to us by email so I thought I would share with anyone who is in a similar situation as us.

Dear Merchant,

According to our records, your point-of-sale (POS) solution uses an integrated terminal connected to a POS application. The following message is about transaction limits for both contact and contactless INTERAC transactions on said integrated terminals. 

Under INTERAC Debit Regulations, merchants are not permitted to set a per transaction limit on terminals. As a result, we ask that you check with your POS application provider to ensure no transaction size limits are set for INTERAC transactions. 

An altered transaction limit on your POS solution may prevent you from taking advantage of any increased limits for contactless transactions that INTERAC may set in the future.  If your POS application has altered the INTERAC transaction limit on any of your terminals, we ask that you contact your POS application provider to ensure they reset the limit as soon as possible.   

Sincerely,

Moneris

Anniediva
2 0 0

How can we contact the POS people? We just recently purchased the POS kit and we are really disappointed on our tap and chip card reader. Can’t seem to get in touch with anyone from Shopify.

0 Likes
Anniediva
2 0 0

Can we revert to POS classic. Would the tap and chip card reader work?

0 Likes
JuliaMcKay
2 0 0

"Haddin (Support Advisor): Alright. As you're using a Moneris terminal, you are exempt from the mandatory change and can continue to use POS Classic for the time being until Moneris support is added to the all-new POS. As a result, if the PIN functionality is not available in time for November 1st, you can simply continue to use POS Classic until the PIN support is released."

We were told the exact same thing in September, arrived at work today to a big red band accross the POS app saying it was expired, and to upgrade to the new app.

I can't find info anywhere that the Interac issue has been resolved. Has this been resolved for anyone else?

0 Likes