Can the POS do this?

Steve_Powell1
Tourist
9 0 2

My company is currently using Vend + Shopify integration. Which is actually working great tech-wise. However I'm not really happy with the insanely slow pace that Vend has when it comes to releasing new features (3 years and still no cash float ability? Really?) and paying for two services.

The problem is that our store is not the average retail store. We allow customers to barter the prices and a lot of our stock and therefore some of our inventory does not have a set price.

I've played around with the demo, but cannot see any way to have Misc. item types with a changeable prices that can be added at time of sale.

Example:

We sell used doors and windows. I would need to have a Used Door and Used Window item with a set price of $0.00 that can be changed right at the time of the sale.

Can Shopify POS do that?

0 Likes
Andrew_Paliga
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
233 0 29

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately not right now. We're looking to add open item prices by the end of the year. The biggest challenge is that the concept doesn't really exist in ecommerce and we want our platform to make sense for both. The best current workaround is the "custom sale" item. You can input any label you like together with an open price. We realize this is not ideal and we will be addressing this soon. 

0 Likes
Steve_Powell1
Tourist
9 0 2

Hi Andrew,

I'm glad you guys are working on it. The Custom Item button is good in the scenario that it is not needed very often. However for retail stores like ours where prices are negotiable or not set it is as you say, not ideal at all.

Another question: We live in a province that uses 2 sales taxes (PST and GST). But some of our customers are PST exempt. Is there a way to remove just the PST right at time of sale? Or better yet make a specific customer profile only be charged 1 tax?

0 Likes
Andrew_Paliga
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
233 0 29

Hi Steve,

Yes there is. If you click the tax item in the cart, you will have the option to disable any of the taxes: http://docs.shopify.com/pos/operating-pos/cart/adjust-tax-rates

In Ontario we just have the one tax, but in BC it should give you the option of each. 

Hope this helps. 

0 Likes
Steve_Powell1
Tourist
9 0 2

Hi Andrew,

That's great. Once you guys add the price changing function we will seriously be looking at switching over from Vend!

0 Likes
Rob_Dhasi
Excursionist
14 0 8
Or at least give us the ability to add custom sale buttons on the bottom that can be renamed to something else, we have two open price items we sell probably like 50 times a day, doesn't work to press custom sale and rename each time, as soon as something like this can be done we are on board, shopify pos should be able to match at least what can be accomplished with a basic cash register
0 Likes
Andrew_Paliga
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
233 0 29

Hi Rob,

We are looking at ways to address the exact issue you bring up. Thanks for the feedback.

0 Likes