Change Payment Method Post Sale

Highlighted
Excursionist
34 0 12

We had a sale today that was part credit card and part check, and unfortunately, the clerk accidentally chose CASH instead of CHECK. He refunded the cash part so our cash drawer would balance, but now we need to add the check portion to CHECK. Please explain how this can be done. Thankfully this was the first time for us in over a year of using the POS, but surely this must be a common mistake....ringing up a sale and choosing the wrong payment option. There must be an easy way to correct the error. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
34 0 2

Hello St Benedict's,

So once an order has been placed there would be no way of changing the Payment Method, I do apologize. If you're looking to balance everything correctly, you can cancel the original order, and create a new one with the Payment Method being Check, instead of Cash. That would really be the only way to go about doing this.

I sincerely hope this clears things up, have a great day!

William M

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
34 0 12

Hi William,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. In the meantime, Matthew at Shopify was able to help me find a solution that worked, although not great. He agreed that this is something that Shopify should probably look into.

In this instance, I would not be able to simply cancel the order and create a new one as the customer had used a credit card for part of the payment, and a $25 gift certificate for the rest. The gift certificate was accidentally entered as a check, throwing off our cash. Because it was a credit card and the customer was gone, we would not have the information needed to process the sale a second time.

What we ended up having to do was refund the $25 cash, create a temporary $25 non taxable item (so we wouldn't be screwing up any of our stock), creating a new order selling the $25 temp item and receiving payment as check, deleting the temp item, making a note for accounting at the end of the month. 

Definitely not the smoothest way to handle something. Thankfully, for us, in the past year, this was the first time we made this error. But, we have just one clerk running the register. A business with multiple clerks and a lot more sales would be likely to be running into this issue much more often, and I would imagine it creates an accounting nightmare for them.

Thanks again for taking the time to try to help. Wishing you a great upcoming weekend!

Steph

0 Likes