Creating & Adding New Barcodes

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello!

I need to create barcodes and save them in each product (and variant).

Can someone please help with specifics?

Does a barcode need to be numbers only OR can a SKU (with letters, numbers and dashes) be used as well?

Once I create the barcode AND generate it, how do I get the barccode INTO my product info to save?  I feel like it's got to be easy but I'm just missing something or making it more complicated than it really needs to be.

Thank you all!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
224 1 25

Hi, Aimee!

Patrick, a Shopify Guru here :). 

To add barcodes to your products you can either add them individually to the products on the product page in the admin. In the Inventory section of the product, you should see a section where you can add barcodes in. With this method, you should be able to letters or symbols:)

The other option is to use an app like this https://apps.shopify.com/barcode-printer . Once you have downloaded it to your admin you can use it to generate an assign barcodes values to your products. At the moment, this app doesn't work with Chrome so you would need to use a different browser like Safari or Firefox. :)

Hope that helps :)
Patrick

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 2

Patrick,

I have small items with varying designs that come individually packaged with different barcodes. They are all priced and inventoried as a single product and I don't want to create a different SKU or variant for each one.

Is there a way to use more than one barcode for a single SKU?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
224 1 25

Hi Randy,

At the moment, our system works by having a unique barcode for each product. To set up your store so it recognises the different barcodes you would need to add variants to your products and assign the barcodes to each one.I know depending on how many variants you have it can take some time to set them all but you could make all the necessary changes to a Product CSV and upload all the information up in one go. :)

0 Likes