Daily Total Tax

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
66 0 9

Using the POS at the end of the shift we do our reconcile of the cash in drawer and close shift and print a receipt which tally the total sales for each payment type, but it doesn't tally up the tax collected.  This would be nice feature to have.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
53 0 17

The problem Shopify has with this idea is that it does not know what tax number to show you.  IF you had no returns or exchanges that day then not really an issue but if you have a return or exchange Shopify cannot give you the number you want.  Reason:

(1) any returns of a product sold on a previous day will NOT have the expected negative impact on your tax liability for your today.  The reason is because Shopify applies the reduction in tax liability on the day of the order NOT your today (the day of the return).  This means you have to track returns by hand in order to not overpay your tax liability.

(2) if you are not paying for the unlimited plan then the report from Orders-Location includes tax liability even for same day orders returns.  That is because this report does not have a status 'Paid' filter like the Orders-Month report.  

Therefore Shopify is not clear on which wrong number to give you on the register closing receipt.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
289 0 221

Hey Alex!

Also Alex here: this is a great suggestion. This is something you can see with Reports, but doesn't show up on the POS display right now.

I'll add this to our feature requests! Thanks so much for the suggestion :)

-Alex M.

Shopify Guru | support@shopify.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Hi Alex,

Despite multiple requests for this feature I was told today on the phone that no one had ever requested this.  Looking at the orders by date is totally different than this feature bc orders can change w/ refunds post facto.  There NEEDS to be a tax calculation on the Register Summary.  If you look through the forums this has been requested several times.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
66 0 9

Yes thats why I went ahead and created my own private app that gives me all the daily totals including refunds, discounts, partial payments and so on.

0 Likes