Daily sales reports

Fiona_Richards
Tourist
16 0 2

The reporting options are very good on our Shopify system but I can't seem to figure out a simple way to view DAILY totals. At this time of the year(december) it would be very helpful to watch the sales patterns to figure out strategies for next year.

I'm sure there is a simple way to view an entire month and see the daily totals at a glance.

Thanks for your help

Fiona

0 Likes
Jason41
Explorer
53 0 18

upper right hand corner of report is date range option

0 Likes
Alex166
Shopify Partner
66 0 10

How are people dealing with refunds?  If someone comes and buys something for $50 and then returns it, the reports still showing up as if I did $50 worth of sales.  I've tried different 3rd party apps, but after all they all getting numbers from the same place so it still shows what I consider to be wrong data.  

Jason41
Explorer
53 0 18

Alex - this is big issue with Shopify. I have spent the entirety of this month on this issue talking endlessly with guru's (chat and voice) and also with competitors to see if my expectations are out of market.  Here is how I currently solve it but it is not a fix but the best available until Shopify decides to address failing which I really do think they will fail in the retail space because competition does it more simply for same price.

1. Product Reports.  all refunds remain in these reports unless the order has been canceled.  There is no filter to address this even at highest account level.  Note: discounts also not reflected in these reports.  

2. Order Reports.  This will sound odd but trust me it is the truth.  Unless you have the unlimited plan Shopify has applied different payment status filters to each report.  For instance, Orders/Month applies a filter of 'Paid' which means refunded orders are excluded because they are not deemed paid.  However, Orders/Location does not have such filter and as a result the Sales figure in this report will not match the sales figure in Orders/Month because in Orders/Location all orders are counted including refunded orders, which is odd considering Order/Locations is your only place you can find Taxes and so if you are trying to calculate your sales tax payments to government and relying on Shopify reports then you will be over paying unless you have the Unlimited Plan or export the data and do it yourself.  

3. the only way to reconcile is to have the unlimited plan and after refunding an order cancel the order.  Once order is canceled then and only then can you get all report sales to match up (assuming no discounts).  However, if order has more items that were not returned then you will still have to refund whole order and cancel it and re-ring up the stuff kept because cancelling only applies to entire order not partial orders or specific items in an order.  

4.  Also, when you refund an order Shopify reports do not assume the refund occurred on the day of the refund.  It assumes that it happened on the same day of order itself.  This is important because your historical sales and tax reporting on a look back basis will be different than what you reported.  For instance, a sale in December that is refunded in January. December sales are up by value and sales taxes owed by transactions value.  January there is a cash refund. January cash goes down BUT your sales report for January will not reflect negative sales value for the refund nor will your January tax obligation go down to reflect the returned purchase.  Instead, Shopify goes back and changes your December Sales down and Tax obligation down.  Therefore, you must manually track your refunds to ensure you do not overpay your sales taxes.  No Guru can explain why this is and and in fact several guru's with retail experience found this fact to be simply wrong but still nothing is being done to correct.  Fact is that Shopify was sloppy in launching with this refund procedure and reporting but should have fixed within 2 months of launch.  After a year now its just plan shocking and potentially indicative of their lack of commitment to being a real POS solutions provider.

0 Likes
Alex166
Shopify Partner
66 0 10

Yes I notice #4, and that is annoying.  Another thing is that where we are there is different taxes for some items, so if your order has items with different taxes, refunding will be wrong (we have to do manual edit for refunds of such orders). Thanks for sharing your workarounds.  In the first three weeks of starting to use the POS I found all these bugs that made me wonder, do they actually test their code or are we the testers?

jpbertram
Explorer
38 0 76

Hey @Fiona_Richards!

This Parabola template would provide you with a daily summary email for the last 30 days (this timeframe can be adjusted as well!) and should be exactly what you're looking for: Shopify sales by day report

Hope this helps!