Disconnected printer

bernadette_nort
2 0 0

We just installed the POS system in our store it was working great but I had a guy come out to look at some stuff and he unplugged my printer. I plugged it back in but no matter what I try I can not get my printer to connect or my cash drawer to open. Has anyone had this problem before?

thanks Bernadette 

0 Likes
Kim_Eriksen1
Pathfinder
111 0 59

I know that guy! Tell him to stay away.

We sometimes experience our printer going offline. Good old step 1 usually fixes it: power off printer, terminate the pos app (close it completely) and restart the access point (not always needed).  Power on printer and then the app. Then go to printer settings in the POS app and it should be back online. Cash register only pops open when printer is detected.

Good luck.

/Kim

0 Likes
bernadette_nort
2 0 0

Thanks Kim I tried that but it did not work .

0 Likes
Andrew_Paliga
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
233 0 29

Hi Bernadette,

Are you still having trouble? Ensure that the printer is connecting to your network and not any other wifi network in the vicinity. Once the printer is connected the cash register will work. The cash register is designed to open when the printer prints a receipt. 

0 Likes
Chris_Luke
Excursionist
21 0 4

please describe your printer setup in detail:

printer model

connection type (USB, Ethernet)

router model

etc.

is the iPad on the same wireless network? how did you set things up?

i just tried both a LAN/Ethernet TSP100 printer and a USB TSP100 printer to an Airport Express with no problems. 

0 Likes
moderneden
7 0 0

This is the exact same issue I've been having.  Yes, this solution works...but it seriously looks bad from a customer perspective. For us, it's not a network issue, it's a software issue. 

I know that guy! Tell him to stay away.

We sometimes experience our printer going offline. Good old step 1 usually fixes it: power off printer, terminate the pos app (close it completely) and restart the access point (not always needed).  Power on printer and then the app. Then go to printer settings in the POS app and it should be back online. Cash register only pops open when printer is detected.

Good luck.

0 Likes
Andrew_Paliga
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
233 0 29

Hi moderneden,

Thanks for the post. I agree with you, you should never haver to complete this sort of reset. What model of Star printer are you using? LAN or USB? 

Thanks,

0 Likes
Jeremy_Torrie
1 0 0

Hi,

I'm having the same issue. We use 2 kits, each with their own iPad, receipt printer and cash box. We are set up with an Apple airport express and sometimes use a wifi signal or personal hotspot depending on our location (we travel). Our printers are TSP100.

I have done a test setup and everything worked the way it should, but on the road it doesn't. Most of the time the printers won't recognize a connection even though it's there (the iPad is able to browse the internet). Intermittently one of the printers will connect but then both iPads run off the same printer and will open the cash box attached even if the sale isn't going into that box (very annoying).

I'm at a loss. I really don't know what to do. Any help/thoughts would be appreciated!

Tanya

0 Likes
Ian_Penwarden-A
Tourist
14 0 3

I now have this problem.

The power to the printer was interrupted and now I have no printer. I've tried the powering off method above which didn't work for me and I even deleted and reinstalled Shopify POS. The only thing that's changed is that Shopify reports that now there is no printer as opposed to a disconnected printer.

I can't believe that my system can come crashing down every time someone inadvertently pulls out the wrong plug to use a vacuum cleaner. Please tell me that someone now has the fix to this.

The printer is a Star TSP LAN and reports that it is connected to my network.

Many thanks,

UPDATE

Seems you just have to be patient. Came back after lunch to find the printer listed and connected. Sorry I don't have the solution other than not to remove the plug in the first place.

0 Likes
Andrew_Paliga
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
233 0 29

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the post and update. We'll try to replicate this issue in our lab and fix it going forward.

0 Likes