Discounts

Highlighted
4 0 0

I have done much research into Shopify and am ready to make the jump but one thing is holding me back.  Discounts!  We use different discounts a lot and need an intuitive, simple way to apply them.  I'll explain below my situation but my question to you is, with all that you're working on, is there any hope something like this may get attention or will it be at least over a year before I'd have a shot at requesting something like this?  Thank you so much!

Shopify allows some discounts (like rule discounts) online that it doesn't allow at the POS in-store.   Your POS makes applying and removing discounts difficult. It doesn't give the option of selecting a set discount code and applying it the the entire order and then going back and changing items discounts line by line to make correction.  It doesn't give the option  of applying it line by so that one particular item can be charged at full price or at a different discount amount.  I am a museum store.  Members get 10%, volunteers get 20%, admission is never discounted and certain items can't exceed 10%.  There is no easy way to do this in Shopify at all.  The only way is go line by line with, typing in a discount amount and typing in a description.  That is time consuming and allows for much human error.  We have a lot of staff and volunteers that are over fifty so this is not functional for us.  I would love to know if this is even on the radar at Shopify?  Is anyone else having issues with this?  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1931 83 249

You'll want to post in and search the Retail forum

https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-for-Retail-Stores/bd-p/shopify-point-of-sale

You probably need an app to have such interconnected granualur business rules on the POS.

With out getting into deep details the quick answer is to have seperate inventory items, or variant options that have the discount baked in.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0
A simple solution would be to have the option of disabling discounts for a
category or product so that one can apply a cart discount and that category
or product would always remain at full price. Or, allowing edits line by
line to discounts after a cart discount is applied. But, it doesn't seem
like this is an issue that Shopify wants to address. I feels like this is
an issue that Shopify want addressed by apps that charge an additional fee
and that's the way it will be continue to be handled in the future. I
think I can safely assume that but it would nice it someone just said that
to me so I can make a solid choice for my business. I'll try posting the
question where you suggested. Thank you!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1931 83 249

I feels like this is an issue that Shopify want addressed by apps that charge an additional fee and that's the way it will be continue to be handled in the future

I understand the feeling it comes up on the forums every day for hundreds of different features, however the rationale ontop of it isn't healthy longterm.

Apps improve your options they dont restrict future features from shopify.

There 1 million merchants and they all want specific things but that just doesn't work for a platform that strives to democratize ecommerce through general features.

If you have a specific business case the immediate rationale you want to develop longterm to prevent bad feelings is to either

A) invest in that specific problem

B) minimize or outright remove that problem

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0
Good to know that the in-store POS is less important to Shopify than the
online store. Again, discounts are a very basic part of any retail store
operation. That's the only reason I ask about functionality because it
doesn't seem like a concern of just one retailer out of a million. I've
worked in retail for thirty years and every store I've managed deals with
discounts just as most any retail store I frequent (aside from restaurants)
deals with them as well. That's why it seem like a basic part of a retail
POS app, not an add on feature. Thank you for letting me know!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1931 83 249

Pos matters alot to shopify an new version was literally just released and POS now has a free upgrade to POS Pro until October 31, 2020

https://www.shopify.com/pos/features

Discounts are a basic part of POS it's just automatic discounts and workflows are not currently

https://www.shopify.com/retail/discount-codes-shopify-pos

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/promoting-marketing/discount-codes/automatic-discounts

Goodluck

0 Likes