Does anybody have any experience using another barcode scanner (not Socket) with the Shopify POS?

Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

We've had incessant issues with the sonic barcode scanner.  It has never worked 100% of the time.  Shopify claims it's the only barcode scanner that works with their POS.

I contacted Shopify and now they're saying that it "could be" the way we print barcodes which is via a super high-end printer and they recommend using something called DYMO to print barcodes.  Given our current business model and the way that things are structured internally, this would be yet another step in a somewhat already convoluted process.

I'm wondering if there are any other Shopifiers out there who don't use the Socket and don't use DYMO and have no problems with the POS. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
64 0 14

You definitely shouldn't need the DYMO printer to have the barcode scanner working. Your existing barcode printer should work just fine. 

What exactly is not working with your barcode scanner?

Do specific barcodes not work?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

Thanks for your response, David.  

I'm relatively new to the company but from what I've been told, the scanner has never consistently worked.  Recently, we relabeled everything with new barcodes and none of them will scan (and the barcodes are definitely loaded in Shopify).  Those same barcodes scan that wouldn't scan with the Socket will scan with another scanner---one that is not compatible with the Shopify POS or iPad.

I called Shopify but I really didn't feel like I got any support on this.  Just a suggestion to use DYMO.  If you can help me resolve this, I'd appreciate it.  Can I email you directly?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
64 0 14

Please add your store URL to your forum profile. Afterwords I'll be able to reach out to you and help with the problem.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

Thanks, David.  Done!  Looking forward to hearing from you.

0 Likes