EMV reader reset?

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
10 0 0

I got the EMV reader yesterday but found it very buggy. It froze during it's first update. After a restart it seemingly updated itself fine, but it seems to have problems waking up after going to sleep. Is there a way to factory reset or troubleshoot the hardware?  Or work around the problems by setting the sleep timer differently? I imagine there must be a way to set parameters through the pin-pad somehow. Not keen on having to reboot it after each transaction.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
64 0 14

Hi Marco,

We are aware of a bug that is occasionally effecting the card reader after it comes back from sleep. We've made the appropriate fixes and are aiming to submit to the Apple App Store as soon as possible. Unfortunately due to the Apple App Store close down, this update won't be available until early January.

In the meantime, our recommended work around to avoid this problem is to leave the card reader plugged in (therefore avoiding it going to sleep).

The other option would be to become a Shopfiy POS beta user, which gives you access to early fixes like these. Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks,

David

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
10 0 0

Yes please. Hopefully it will also fix the intermittent crashes that has plagued - I think - the two latest versions. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 8

I'm having the same issue! It says it is connected, but it's not telling me to insert the card when it's time to. I've just started plugging in my old swiper bc this is really annoying.

Also, the lightening card swiper grabbed names from the credit card for the order, but the EMV reader grabs zero customer info... can something be done about this? I no longer can look up orders but customer names (we don't build customer profiles) and many don't want to put in emails for receipts.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
64 0 14

Just an update on this: We've finished a bunch of improvements to how sleep mode works with the new Shopift Tap, Chip, and Swipe Card Reader. The latest version of the Shopify POS Beta App now includes these. We expect an Apple App Store version to be avaialble in early January.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 8

Hi David -- Has the update been released yet? I"m waiting anxiously as some days we cannot even use the chip reader at all bc it gets stuck when coming back from sleep every order we need to process.

Thanks,

Chelsea

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
64 0 14

We've submitted an update to the Apple App Store that should help fix this issue. At present, this submission is still in review with Apple. Until the update is available, we continue to recommend leaving the card reader plugged in to avoid this issue. 

We are also working hard on a series of other improvements for the card reader which will come in subsequent updates.

We appreciate your patience!

0 Likes
Highlighted
15 0 0

Yes I have had problems with the card reader freezing the pos system on some cards.  I have to power down the ipad and reboot to fix this issue.  When is the update going to be released?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
64 0 14

Shopify POS 3.6.1 has been released and includes improvements for the Shopify Tap and Chip Card Reader. We are working on several other improvements that will get released in upcoming versions of Shopify POS.

You can set your device to automatically update apps like Shopify POS. It's easy to do - simply follow these instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202180

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 8

Still running to the same issue (though less frequently) since update. But, it still is happening whenever 2 sales occur one after another and the reader is not put to sleep in between them.

0 Likes