EMV technology for POS and Mobile

Highlighted
2 0 1

Do we know when this will be available? I placed a phone call earlier this week and the woman I spoke to had NO idea what I was talking about. I asked her for a response via email since she said she had to research it and have not seen anything. I just read an article saying that the deadline is October 1st but there does not seem to be any information available. I largely operate using the POS system and need some kind of answer so I know if I need to look to another company before then.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
64 0 14

Hi Lola,

We've just published a blog post talking about EMV and what it means to US merchants. Please use the email signup form to be notified of updates when we launch support for EMV contact and contactless cards (including Apple Pay).

Thanks,

David

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 4

Hi David,

I just read the blog post you mentioned but it doesn't address whether or not Shopify will be ready with new card readers in time for the October 1st deadline.  All the blog says is that "Shopfy is working on supporting EMV contact and contactless cards." As a merchant, I need to know in advance if I will have to setup a third party credit card payment system in order to stay compliant. We are less than 8 weeks away from the deadline, so now is the time for Shopify to honestly and directly address this issue.  

Thanks, Anne 

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

Anne...have you received any offline confirmation from Shopify on this?

Thank you,

david

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 4

Sadly, I haven't heard anything back. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

I called tech support and they have no information.  

Square has assumed the liability after 1 October for their users.  

Shopkeep is already EMV ready.  

Shopify cannot even commit to ANY date for EMV compliance.  

Its very frustrating as it leaves little or no time to switch to another vendor if Shopify does not meet the deadline or at least provide a date.  I am not even sure if we have enough lead time to get an EMV reader shipped and installed and tested. We will probably set our own internal deadline and move all our information over to our other POS system if Shopify doesn't make an announcement REALLY SOON.

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
14 0 6

I just chatted with support and same answer - we don't have a date for release.

"We do have a solution in place, but it is in beta at the moment, the release dates are expected to be in October, and are on track from what i have heard, but i cannot guarantee any time frames."

It's 2 weeks away from the deadline. Square and other competitors have card readers in the hands of their customers already.

Is Shopify going to cover any liability during the time period which they have not delivered compliant hardware to its POS customers?

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
24 0 6

It's such a drag. We need to buy new machinery. Do we stay with Shopkeep or Shopify, which is our preference as our web business is on it. 

Shopify, I love my website but I don't get the feeling you are serious about POS. You need to come up with something now to help us feel otherwise. 

Anyone who doesn't care about this issue isn't paying attention. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

Steve

I am with you.  I just had a chat with a clueless rep who basically did not answer any questions.  I am trying to figure out if I should get the square reader and use it as "external credit" with shopify pos.  They give no dates, nothing, just said there is a blog post coming Oct 1...really, that's too late.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
24 0 6

The silence is deafening! I just don't think shopify is serious about this. 

This very morning we've decided to commit with Shopkeep for our two stores and pop up events. Shopify, you are very good at giving advice about things but I would suggest you have a more encouraging approach to this. In just over a week we have to change and you haven't offered anything solid. Even a "Due to circumstances beyond our control, we won't be set up to do this until mid-November. On that date, we plan to do XXXX and XXXXX." Maybe POS isn't so important to you (and that's ok, but you just need to say it so we can make plans) but but you are losing credibility and that's hard to win back. Just my advice. 

0 Likes