Entering Product Price at Checkout on POS System

Highlighted
1 0 1

Hi! We have several products that we sell only in our B&M, and for which we do not track inventory. These products range in price. We'd like to be able to have a "Product" called, for example, "Men's T-Shirts" that we could ring-up on our POS and then enter the price of the item at time of checkout. We don't want to use Quick Sale for these products, because we want to track sales in our Shopify analytics for these products/product types. 

Is there any way to create a product in Shopify (available to buy only on the POS), and be able to enter the price of that product at checkout? If not, is there a way to suggest this feature? 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
540 31 86

Hi, @roanline!

My name is Tira and I work at Shopify. 

That sounds like a really unique product strategy. We don't have a feature like that on Shopify that allows for the product to be priced at checkout. However, I do have some workarounds for you and I would be happy to send this up as a feature request to our developer team for you. If the feature is released, we'll let you and all of our merchants know, you can also find updates here in our changelog.  

You can set a product to only appear on POS by making it offline on other sales channels. To do this, you can go into the product, and then underneath Product Availability and click on "Manage" and check only the Point of Sale channel, then save your product to ensure your changes go through. 

Here are some recommendations I have on how you can make this work:

1) You can create a new product right in the Shopify POS and add the title of the product, along with the price that you want to put in at the time of purchase.. To create a product, you can click on the + button on your Shopify POS app. The product created will only be available on POS. You can follow the steps for creating a product in our help doc: Create a product on Shopify POS.

2019-05-01_11-43-36-u5zdj

2) You can add a product into your store through the admin, and give it any price. For example, $100. When you go to checkout the item on Shopify POS, there will be options to Add a discount. You can then provide a discount on the product based on what price you want to charge for the item. 

2019-05-01_11-19-47-7n0rj

3) You can add the product to your store through the admin for the price of $0. At checkout on POS, you can click on Add shipping to enter a price. The system will show it as a shipping cost, but this way you can "customize" the price. As it is shown as a shipping cost, this will be reflected in your reports.

4) You can use the Quick Sale option. If you are on the Shopify Plan or higher, the sales for the product will appear in your Analytics section under Retail Sales Sales by product. If you aren't on these plans, you will see it reported under the Finances report. Click on "All Channels" and you can narrow this down to the POS channel. You'll be able to see the product name there along with the breakdown of the order price. Take a look at our help doc to find more information on the Retail Sales report here and learn about the Finances report here.

Let me know if that helps!

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 2

I don't know how this is a unique product strategy. Pretty much every B&M store owner that I am aware of (and I am aware of thousands) operates on this same strategy. Variable/open price items are something that users have been asking for since at least 2014. Not sure why this has not been implemented yet since it is 2020.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

I agree! This is register 101 - we run a vintage clothing store. We want to be able to ring up vintage clothing at variable costs. It's such a basic feature. Please implement!

2 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

This request is not unique in the slightest.  Square does it.  If you're going to promote a POS and charge for POS PRO, the bare minimum requirement is that it include variable pricing within created categories.  I have a second hand shop, with literally hundreds of unique items; I do not intend on logging every single one of those hundreds of filler items into Shopify.  Please fix this ASAP or I'll be forced to switch back to Square.  

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
540 31 86

Hi, @ESCandles@dreamysea@miss_pris,

Tira here, from Shopify.

Thank you all for adding your feedback. I can see how adding this feature would be important to your business. I would love to send your feedback to our developer team, so that they are aware of how we can improve our platform for you and all of our merchants. What are your myshopify.com URLs? 

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2
psychic-sister-store.myshopify.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 2