Few questions...such as Opening Cash drawer when doing external debit/visa

Alex166
Shopify Partner
66 0 10

We started using the POS in our bookstore and notice that the cash drawer doesn't open unless we do cash transactions.  Every cash drawer I've used in the past open the till even when doing visa/debit transactions.  Will this be fix soon?

Another thing we notice was that the printer/cash drawer was getting connected to the iPAD, it was showing as connected but clicking on test print or test cash drawer was not doing anything...Calling support we determine that the printer wasn't getting an IP for some reason.  There should be a error/message telling us this and not having to hold feed button power off/on the printer to debug it.  Not sure how you are programming it to detect if there connectivity to the printer or not, but it should also check for IP address as well, just a thought.

Perhaps allowing us to preset discount codes instead of having to enter the desire percent everytime.  And when doing a custom order, if we could select from a type so when doing reports it would show up.  Also another thing (I know I have a lot of questions) say we scan a product and we realized that it has the incorrect price, is there anyway to update or change the price at the checkout? I'm talking about the POS retail system not the online.  We recently switch from a non electronic inventory so we had to enter in all the books and products we sell so it is possible that one or two things got wrong price.  So instead of scanning, realizing that is wrong price, delete and enter custom order, if we could tap on the product and update the price for the checkout without having to go through the admin as well.  Of course there would need to be a tag or alert to say that price was change so people don't just change prices willy nilly.

And finally, in the manage inventory if there could be a column for price as well (or selecting between QTY and PRICE) so we can add/update prices easier, that be nice.

Thanks,

Alex

0 Likes
Carson2
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
67 0 3

Hi Alex,

Thanks for reaching out! We really appreciate hearing from our merchants :-)

The usage of popping open the cash drawer for payments other than cash has come up a few times. It's something we're looking to do, but I can't comment with a "when" right now.

Thanks for bringing this up about the receipt printer. It sounds to me like we should suggest this troubleshooting guide from inside the app.

You can manage your pricing and inventory from your Admin, there's a handy link to get to that from the menu on POS, it'll automatically log you in and send you to the products page in Safari. After changing the price of a product, it's synced to your POS shortly thereafter. We're looking to improve "bulk" changes as you'd suggested, as it's come up a few times in feedback. You can also change the product inventory and pricing from Shopify Mobile on iPhone (and Android soon, right now it's just inventory while we build the rest)

Wishing you all the best!

Product Manager at Shopify
0 Likes
Alex166
Shopify Partner
66 0 10

Right now that is what we are doing, when something doesn't scan,one of us is quickly going an adding item into the Admin, but that is not very effective.It be nice to be able to use custom order but able to add a type, specially when different items have different taxes apply to them...like books use 5% while others use 13%.  It seems like you can apply tax to the first item in the list of your cart. Another thing we notice today was the sorting of the collection (drop down list) in the POS is not alphabetical order and doesn't seem to have a logical sorting method, at least that I could find.  For bulk changes I started using Ruby + shopify API.

Thanks!  

0 Likes
Chris_Glenn1
Tourist
6 0 1

Not having the cash drawer open on a credit card sale is a huge plus for me.  I hate it when it opens for no reason.  Please don't change this functionality, maybe add a switch for those using external payments.

Alex166
Shopify Partner
66 0 10

Agreed, have it as a setting, but at least give us the option.  

0 Likes
Chris_Glenn1
Tourist
6 0 1

Actually you can go into the setting of the driver for the printer and change it open the cash drawer every time the printer prints.

0 Likes
Alex166
Shopify Partner
66 0 10

On the IPAD? how? I know I can do that from my PC which I was able to do, but only if I print from my PC will it work, not when I'm print from the iPAD.

Alex

0 Likes
Chris_Glenn1
Tourist
6 0 1

Duh, I forgot we were dealing with iPads only.  You might trying calling Star to see if the firmware can be updated to open the cash drawer every time it prints.

0 Likes
Store_Staff
Excursionist
21 0 4

I could try that, I also found another way to open the cash register.  By clicking the blue SALE link at the bottom of the cart on the right.  When it is empty it just opens the cash drawer :D

0 Likes