Forcing Customer Attachment Before Sale

Highlighted
3 0 0

I am looking to force a staff member (or myself) to attach a customer to a shopping cart before the sale can be completed. The specifics of our services require that ALL sales MUST have the correct customer attached and it is far too easy to skip this step intentionally or unintentionally.

Is there a way, with the Shopify POS or an app within the POS, to prevent a sale from being completed before a customer is attached? Better, is there a way to force customer attachment BEFORE any items are added to the cart?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
575 18 74

Hi, @asm264 

There isn't currently a way to make customer accounts required for POS sales at this time. POS sales are a bit different in that they don't follow the same rules as the online sales checkout options. This was designed to account for the merchant making in the moment decisions like allowing out of stock products to be sold, etc.!

I can see how this feature could be quite useful for some shops -  to be able to enforce depending on the type of products that they sell or the policies they have in place. So, I'll be sure to pass this request along to our team for consideration. If you could take a moment to share why this is important for your business and share the URL, I can add that detail to your request.

For a refresher on how this currently works in the POS, check out this help doc - Using customer profiles in Shopify POS.

Max | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 0

I also need this feature. It's important bc you cannot edit the customer name after the sale. 

I need the search history of the customer has a return and losses their rcpt. 

Also, I am using partial payments as a work around for layaway, or special orders. If an employee forgets the customer name it's difficult to service the saved order. 

0 Likes