Giftcards bought online NEED A barcode/QR Code.

Highlighted
Explorer
57 0 16

I'm sad to see this feature wasn't implemented with the new physical gift cards. Customers buy giftcards online for family and friends. Then they bring it into the retail to spend. And I have to type in a long code with the ipad keyboard. Have your developers actually done this? If they had, they'd know that it's really a pain to switch the ipad keyboard from numbers and letters every other character for the code with a line of customers behind the one your serving. You can't even imagine when they have more than 1 gift card to enter.

Also I noticed that the new gift cards printing from the printer have the QR code, we need a toggle to go between QR code or Barcode as depending on the scanner you have, it's a problem. At the moment with only the 1d scanner, we have less functionality than we had a month ago when it comes to gift cards.

A simple toggle to switch between QR or Barcode, and a simple toggle to include them in the email that is sent out would improve functionality massively for all the PoS people with very little programming.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
67 0 3

Hi Cory,

Please update to the latest version of Shopify POS. You can scan gift card QR codes using the front-facing camera of your iPad, no extra hardware required.

We'll be bringing an update to the web-based gift card page that also includes this QR code for easy entry for in-store checkout, too.

Product Manager at Shopify
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
36 0 14

Hi Carson,

I posted on a different thread, but have received no reply about the physical gift cards.

Will these be available to ship soon to the UK?

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi Carson.  

Not sure if this has to do with  the problem we are experiencing.  

Yesterday we discovered our gift cards were being produced with QR codes and have been since  at least this Wednesday.

We contacted the help line yesterday and the agent was at a loss as to why this is occurring and she was going to pass it on to the techs to figure out but haven't heard anything back as yet. 

Did Shopify just arbitrarily change gift cards to have QR codes.

Do we not have the option to have our gift cards produced with standard bar codes.or 

Is this a problem with Shopify and  our cards should still be printed with the standard bar code. 

It seems more than coincidence that 3 weeks ago a customer brought in a gift card to redeem (old bar code) and it would not scan.  Does this QR switch has something to do with it. 

Hoping someone has the answer soon as we are well into Christmas shopping and it is almost a case that we ace concerned that we should stop selling the Shopify produced card and go back to our hand written ledge kept cards.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
7 0 1

Hey Michael.

We definitely want to bring physical gift cards to the UK and other parts of the EU. I don't have a specific date for you but we are hoping to offer these soon. (aiming for the next few months) We still need to sort out some logistics before we can offer these outside of Canada/US.

~ Nick

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
67 0 3

Hi Les,

We changed the printing method of gift cards by printed receipt and physical gift cards to the QR code to improve entry without the use of additional hardware. On the latest versions of Shopify POS, the front-facing camera can be used to scan in gift cards by QR code, where before a bluetooth barcode scanner was necessary to read the 1D barcodes.

How were you scanning the 1D barcodes printed beforehand? This method should still work for existing gift cards, our new use of 2D barcodes should not affect it.

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi Carson.

Can you please confirm

1. We do not have an option as to the type of code being printed on the gift card ie: it is now QR code only and

2.  When did  Shopify make that change.

We were using the blue tooth barcode scanner to scan the gift cards and never experienced a problem until recently on Nov 15  (ticket 1114679 refers) where the gift card would not scan.  There may be some other reason for this but if  it  coincides with  or after the date of the change, then  it may well be that the change is the cause of the problem.

If that is the case I guess we will just process old GC's like we did with the one on Nov 15 taking them in like with a manual entry and disabling them afterwards.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
67 0 3

If the gift card won't scan, you can always enter it manually as described in our docs. I've verified here that I can scan the existing 1D barcodes on the printed receipts for gift cards I've printed in the past with the bluetooth scanner, or enter the code in manually in the attached image.

Your existing cards shouldn't be unprocessable. I can see in the order attached to the ticket you brought up the order was partially paid by a gift card, and the rest by external credit.

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Thanks for the reply Carson.   I called the help line and they were able to provide a somewhat clearer explanation.

As I understand it,  the change to QR took place  2- 3 weeks ago and QR is the only code that will be printed on the cards with no option available to return to the UPC format.

We will have to wait until a UPC GC comes in to see if it can still be scanned with the 1D bluetooth scanner.  If not at least they should/might  be able to be redeemed thru the entry of the alpha/numeric code

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
57 0 16

So still no resolution to an important problem. When my customers buy a gift card online, the email they get doesn't have any way for it to be scanned. As 100% of all my gift cards are used in a physical store this is a pain. I had a customer today use 3 gift cards they got over Christmas that none had a barcode or QR code to scan. 

After entering the 3rd code, the customer remembered a coupon to get 10% off. My employee had to go back and apply that. And because the line was getting so long, simply gave a discount for the gift card amounts instead of typing in the 3 gift cards again.

Has the DEVELOPER TEAM ever actually put in gift cards physically on an ipad? The swapping of keyboards from numbers to letters and back again is very cumbersome. You're looking at a good 30 seconds at least per gift card. This doesn't seem like a lot until you're entering 3 of them in etc.

0 Likes