Has Shopify given up on POS?

Jason41
Explorer
53 0 18

No updates on major issues for a year.  It took me a few weeks to find material flaws across returns, tax and inventory.  Not hard fixes but material from an execution point of view; you know the ones that actually pay for it and use it.  I cannot be the first to find these issues yet nothing being done and no fixes in sight besides the customary guru responses.  Maybe the numbers just aren't there and so Shopify has given up on POS.

0 Likes
Carson2
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
67 0 3

Hi Jason,

Shopify POS is a major area of focus of the company. We'd love to chat with you more about your experience with POS, if you're interested. I've reached out directly over email.

Product Manager at Shopify
0 Likes
Alex166
Shopify Partner
66 0 10

It also took me few days to find all these bugs.  I've posted them several times in the past but all I got were workarounds which to be honest made me question how much retail knowledge they knew.  Refunds, Reporting, Taxing all have MAJOR issues.  Fix this before you loose customers to the competition.

0 Likes
Jason73
Excursionist
12 0 10

s

0 Likes
Jason41
Explorer
53 0 18

Carson - I just replied to your email so yes I am interested in discussing, why else would I be writing on this forum and any other social media outlet.  I simply ask that Shopify stop responding to me with 'just because'.  This is not a reason.  If you built it a certain way and simply refuse to change it then say so but do so with an actual explanation as to why.  I do not proclaim to be the smartest guy in the room but I do have the ability to process rational thought.  I would expect that Shopify came to certain conclusions based on a sound set of principles beyond 'it is what it is' and as such I kindly ask for such explanation for all of us to hear.  And if there is simply no willingness to assess these concerns relative to the framework from which it was built then say so and stop dancing with me.  In other words if you are not going to change it no matter how logical the argument then just say so, or if you think I am wrong then explain it to me.

Harold_Steinhar
Explorer
52 0 46

I have had a number of requests and forum posts that have gone ignored - no Shopify response. Hard to believe, as Carson says, that "Shopify POS is a major focus of the company."   

Peter_Kemp
1 0 0

We have an online store as well as a physical retail selling lifestyle products and a cafe. In addition to using shopify online and shopify POS, we found it necessary to sign up for vend POS. Shopify lacks the very simple ability to PRACTICALLY park and update a customer order essential for a cafe. It is beyond me why they have not introduced this feature in the year plus they have been operational giving them access to the massive hospitality industry.

0 Likes
Jason41
Explorer
53 0 18

Peter

As highlighted in the Comprehensive POS Issues thread, I received from Shopify an email over the holiday within which it states:

"What kind of upgrades/changes are you looking for?  As far as I know, Shopify isn't anticipating any major overhauls anytime soon"

It appears as though Shopify has abandoned any real attempt to fix some low hanging fruit issues and instead focused on other fronts they deem more important.  Keep posting your issues and maybe if enough people do so they might actually do something.  I have spoken with region heads of their competition about these issues and they are shocked at how simple it could be addressed and I suspect will start to use these issues in their sales pitches to customers. I wish Shopify VC investors checked in on these forums.