Help! Transient pricing problem

Natalie10
Tourist
7 0 1

I am in the process of trying to set up a Shopify EPOS system but have come across a major hurdle. In our shop we sell hundreds of varieties of fish. The cost of each fish varies according to breed and size/age. It would be impossible to enter in all of the variations and you can't attach a barcode to a fish! For accounting purposes we need the sales to be loosely grouped under a handful of products (e.g. 'Tropical Fish') whereby we can manually enter the price at checkout. This has to require minimal effort as some members of the team are not tech-savvy and queues in-store can build up fast. Ideally these main products/buttons would sit on the EPOS homepage and not have to be searched for.

Does anybody have any experience of this/suggestions of Apps with functions that could help us achieve this?

Many thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Ross_Campbell
Community Manager
Community Manager
1 0 0

Hey Natalie,

Ross here from Shopify’s Guru Team

Currently there is no way to get the POS app to categorize for custom products which is what I believe you are looking to do . However, one method that might work is creating a product like “tropical fish” in your store for $1. Then at the POS app, the employee can just add to the quantity to increase the cost i.e. if the fish would cost $5, you would add a total of 5 fish to the quantity to equal $5. This method however would not allow you to track inventory for those products.

You could also sell them each as a custom item. In the bottom right hand corner of the POS there is the option called “Custom Sale”. From there you can enter the name of your product as well as its price. It may be a little more time consuming and less organized (as you would have to enter the name each time you make a sale) but it would make it a lot easier to customize your prices.

Enjoy the rest of your day!

Ross

0 Likes
JacksonMcLean
Tourist
9 0 11

Hi Ross,

I'm in a similar situation as Natalie. I sell flower bouquets whose price varies depending on the flowers used.

Your solution is an okay workaround, but we need the ability to see how many actual bouquets we've sold as well. In order to be able to do that, we need an item that we can call "flower bouquet" which has no price until it is given one at checkout.

Is that something Shopify is working on?

Thank you,

Jackson

0 Likes
Natalie10
Tourist
7 0 1

Hi Jackson,

I think that I am right in saying that if you process your bouquets as a custom order and give them the same 'name', that should tie together from a back end/accounting point of view. Using the custom order facility also allows you to enter in the exact price and correct quantity.

Although we haven't gone live yet, we have had a play with this ourselves and found that as long as you use exactly the same name, Shopify recognises it as the same product when it produces the tallies.

Ross - please feel free to correct me if i am wrong!

I hope that this helps!

Natalie

0 Likes
JacksonMcLean
Tourist
9 0 11

Hi Natalie,

Thanks for the reply. Again, this is an okay workaround, but an integrated solution would be best. Is this something being worked on? I don't want to have to rely on cashiers to correctly input the custom item to see how many bouquets we've sold. There needs to be a custom product type/variant called "variable price" where you input the price when the order is being processed.

What I've decided to do is create one item called "Flower Arrangements" with 300 variants, $1 to $300. This is a more time consuming workaround than the "$1 per arrangement" idea, but at least it'll give me accurate numbers of bouquets sold.

Make sense?

Jackson

0 Likes