Hiding Sales From Staff Members

Athena_Steadman
2 0 1

Is there anyway to hide what the POS has done daily from staff members?  I don't really think it is all of my staff's business what every day's sales are and I haven't found a way to hide it.

John227
Excursionist
13 0 5

Yes, this would be a very welcomed feature.

To answer your question, no, there is no way to do this.

0 Likes
Nick
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3669 308 706

Hi Athena and John, 

Nick here from Shopify.

I did some digging on this for you and found this is possible:

From the POS app, click Staff, then Staff Settings in the top right corner.

We have a helpful guide on Staff Settings on POS which you can see by clicking here

Don't hesitate to ask should you have any other questions about anything! ?

Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
junipertree
Tourist
4 0 1

Hey @Nick ,

I know this was from two years ago, but I guess this feature got taken away? I can't find it anymore. 

0 Likes
Nick
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3669 308 706

Hi @junipertree

No worries about the length of time of the thread, it's a good question! 

It all depends on the staff permissions. If you are on the POS Pro plan (which you can check out in the admin via Sales channels > Point of Sale > Locations) then you can set your staff up with POS only access PINs. Those staff members can't access the admin at all and can only access the POS app. If your staff are admin staff with POS access granted via 

Settings > Plan and Permissions > Permissions > Staff accounts > Point of Sale access > Give Point of Sale access to this staff 

You can restrict what the staff member sees using the Shopify help guide here

Usually, staff would need to be able to interact with the Orders for the POS location but you can experiment with the permissions until you get a configuration that you're pleased with but still allow your staff to do their jobs. Hope this helps! 

junipertree
Tourist
4 0 1

@Nick 

We do have Pro and we do have our staff set up to be POS access only right now.

I've set up what they can and can't do for their permission set (attaching pictures of what is allowed and denied within that). 

Outside of those permissions, I see nothing that would limit their viewing of our daily sales when closing the drawer for the night. They can still see that when closing the drawer or on the Register menu option. Our other business, a coffee shop, we use Square and they allow us to hide what is expected in the drawer and sales from staff.

This just seems like an issue that should've been resolved early on. I'm a millennial, so definitely not technologically challenged when trying to solve an issue or figure out how to do something so I don't think I'm missing a certain setting, but please let me know if I am. This is an issue for us because we don't want to have to be here every day at close just to count the drawer so they don't see this sensitive info. 

Is there a fix for this? Is this something that the backend team can correct?Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 3.17.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 3.17.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 3.17.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 3.17.31 PM.png

0 Likes
Nick
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3669 308 706

Hi @junipertree,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you on this. I have done some investigation work and asked our retail team about this and you are correct, staff with enough permissions to be able to close the till will be able to see the sales data for that day. So it is not possible to block that off from staff right now with those specific permissions. Because of that, I am going to submit a feature request on your behalf to our development team for future consideration about it. Thank you for the feedback and for bringing this to our attention.