How Does The POS System Handle Multiple UPCs?

Jeffrey_Shelton
Tourist
25 0 1

I have contacted support three times now and wasted over two hours and have yet to get a representative who can even understand by question let alone answer it. I am having serious doubts about using Shopify for our company. It has been exceptionally and extraordianitly poor, it's quite shocking. The first rep actually straight out lied to me.

1) Is that typical here?

2) We would like to use Shopify POS in the future. We have some inventory products that have the same UPC. Very simple, product #1 UPC: 123ABC and product #2 UPC: 123ABC. How does the interface handle this? Will it give me an option on the screen to pick the correct item? It would be preferable to not create different UPC labels for them but that would be possible as a very last resort. Very simply, how does this work with Shopify POS?

3) Does Shopify offer paid premium support where I can actually talk to people who can answer basic questions about the system? I'm not building this new brand with Shopify if we cannot get basic help. We had this issue on the last question we had about the Amazon app. 2 questons, 6 attempts, 0 answers.

0 Likes
Jeffrey_Shelton
Tourist
25 0 1

What in the hell is wrong with you people?

0 Likes
Jeffrey_Shelton
Tourist
25 0 1

What in the hell is wrong with you people? 

0 Likes
AnaW
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
87 0 22

Hi Jeffrey,

Ana here from the Shopify support team. 

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear about your experience so far. That does sound atypical of the support we try to provide merchants - we may not necessarily know all the answers offhand as the flexibility of our platform and diversity of our merchants' needs bring up many questions that don't come necessarily in a "training manual". However, we are resourceful enough to try to find the correct answer for you, even if it requires digging further into the issue or question. 

That said, I've done some digging on my end to find the answer for you.

Products with the same UPC, when scanned, will only add the first item that was created with that UPC, to cart. So no, it wouldn't give you the option on the screen to pick the correct item out of many that share the same UPC. This is something that has been brought up before as a feature request, so hopefully it's something that our POS team may be able to implement as more merchants request it. 

However, it's not something that can be done now as our POS system was designed for products where each individual product has its own unique barcode/UPC/EIN. Meaning that you will need to create different UPC labels in order for your barcode scanner to bring up the correct item on our POS system.

Lastly, we don't offer paid premium support, however, if you're looking for additional help you can always work with a Shopify Expert for paid services.

Although, for questions about the Shopify platform, that's something that our team should be able to handle and I do apologize that your experience has been less than satisfactory so far. We would love to have the opportunity to make it up to you - feel free to chat/call/email in anytime and we'd be happy to help you out. 

Ana

Jeffrey_Shelton
Tourist
25 0 1

Ana thank you so much! This is our second Shopify store. We love the platform but we have been so worried after trying to get an answer. All we needed was someone to dig and find an answer for us. It is very important because we have 10,000+ pieces of inventory and if I do not get it right when we add it, it could set our launch back months. 

I cannot thank you enough for your kindness and taking the time to find this answer. We feel much better now and will give it another try. We will make new labels instead of having multiple UPCs. You've made my day! Thanks again! :)

0 Likes