How do you make the phone an un-required filed?

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
177 2 156

When you create a customer, there are a bunch of things which really annoy customers:

• The manditory phone field
  • The company field
  • Auto-correct in the app

How do you turn off the company field, auto-correct and stop the phone from being manditory?

Shopify POS is not honouring these settings from our Shopify store.

Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
754 42 149

Hi there,

Katy here from Shopify!

Would you have an example that you could show us here, or a screencast of what is happening for you? Do please include your store URL if you can, as this is very useful when helping to troubleshoot. 

Usually when creating a new customer, the required fields would be the name and email address of the customer.  We have some more specific info on this here.  Regarding the auo-correct function, could you ensure that you have this switched off within your device settings? 

Do let me know how this goes for you, and any additional info that you can.

Thank you,

Katy

Katy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
177 2 156

Thanks Katy,

Will turn off auto-correct device-wide but some apps don’t use it by default so was hoping there was a Shopify-specific option.

Re the mandatory phone field, there is no star next to the field but we definitely could not complete a sale without adding one - we saw this on two different devices. We also occasionally saw an error when adding an email address after a customer had been created; ‘customer already has an email address’ (or similar) when there definitely wasn’t an email.

We’ll try to take screen shots but it’s difficult in the context of a noisy consumer show, with thousands of people, and an impatient customer standing right there!

I’ve deleted the location in an effort to reset the issues so will report back after today.

Cheers

Ben

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
177 2 156

OK, we've got to the bottom of the phone number issue. If you start entering a number, you can't use local numbers and the app forces international prefixes along with a +. So a number that normally starts with 021 must be entered as +6421 which caused a lot of confusion with locals.

Is there a way to turn that function off?

Will try to screenshot the email error if it happens today.

Sorry for the confusion. re the manditory phone field

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
754 42 149

Hi Ben,

Thanks for getting back to me regarding this, and that's no problem at all. I'd like to help you out. 

I do completely understand, that during an event or sale it can be quite tricky to get a recording or screencast of this. Would you be able to have a look and try to get me one yourself when you have time?

Could you also make sure that you are using the latest version of the POS app

I have placed a test myself, and for me the country code is not automatically set as required, rather it is auto applied retroactively based on my settings. I have placed a test here to show you

Could you ensure that you do have the latest version installed, and share a video with me if you can. 

Thanks so much!

Katy

Katy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes