How does Shopify balance POS Registers when there are multiple at 1 location?

Hi Guys,

Shopify seemed to update last night forcing inventory tracking to specific locations. 

This has created a problem for our store as we only have 1 actual store with 3 registers in it but all registers are set up as separate locations..  Example. Hughes 1, Hughes 2 & Hughes Clearance. Now this update has auto assigned all of our stock to 1 location that we don't even use (a fourth that remains from initial setup) . 

My thought is that to solve this problem I can just assign all the registers to be the same location (the fourth that has the stock assigned to it). How will this effect the balancing of the tills at the end of the day? will they still balance individually or is there some weird way I would have to combine them all??? 

0 Likes
John24
Shopify Partner
9 0 6

From what we have seen it will only look at the sales that took place on that particular iPad.

Note, if you re-install Shopify POS during the middle of the day, you will want to scroll through and load past orders so that the day end value foots.

0 Likes
Rosemarie
Tourist
9 0 2

Hi,

We have two stores, each set up as a separate location in Shopify, This allows you to have visibility to the stock that is physically at each store. Same as you, we have multiple registers located within each store and assigned to the specific Shopify location for that store. The each store's registers will pull stock from that specific location, and you can have visibility at POS to sales transactions across registers (and in our case, each store can see the transactions of the other store - which allows us to process returns as necessary).  However, because Shopify tracks which transactions are processed on each register you will still have the ability to close out each till separately and run individual shift close reports from each POS.

Eliot_Jacobsen
2 0 0

Hi, Rosemarie: 

I'm interested in your comment above.  You said you have multiple Shopify POS registers at each location.  I have a couple of questions for you:

How many POS registers are you running simultaneously in each store and all together? 

Have you found the scanning speed during checkout to be fast? 

Note:  We're setting up 3 locations with 3, 3 and 6 registers respectively.  During busy times we can be scanning one item per second per register at all locations with a product database of 1500 items.  If scanning is sluggish (which it has been on our old non-Shopify system,) it can lead to missed scans (ie: items not included in sale) and employee and customer frustration). So as we move to Shopify I want to be sure we're not going to have a speed issue at checkout.  :-)

0 Likes
Rosemarie
Tourist
9 0 2

Hi Eliot -

Unfortunately I do not think we are a good comparison for you. We currently have two locations, with 3 and 1 registers respectively. They are in the same time zone, so all of these registers can be active at the same time. While our catalog does have 2000+ items, by the nature of our product we do not turn high volumes daily. Our highest daily units YTD is 230, and we average ~2 units per order. Our staff can either manually enter the item or scan the barcode when ringing the transaction, so we do not have issues with the speed of the scanning.

0 Likes
Eliot_Jacobsen
2 0 0

Thank you for responding, Rosemarie.

0 Likes