How to put an "open" price in Shopify POS?

David_Loblaw1
Tourist
10 0 3

I have a chocolate shop where all but one of our products are at a set price. The oddity is our "loose chocolates," where customers pick their assortment, we then weigh their bag/box, and input the price showing on the weigh scale. In Shopify POS, can I create a product where I can type in a different price in every transaction?

Greg_Stare
Excursionist
19 0 6
We would also love the ability to do this.
Andrew_Paliga
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
233 0 29

Hi David,

Thanks for this feedback.

Have you tried our "custom sale" option to accomplish this? You could create a product with the name "loose chocolate" and assign a variable price every order. Does that work?

0 Likes
John_Helm
Excursionist
22 0 10

Hi Andrew,

I don't believe your answer will work quite the way you describe it, at least not on my end. I can certainly do a custom sale and enter whatever price I want on the fly, but I also have to enter a "Name" every time I do a custom sale; in other words, I can't create a "Loose Chocolates" item that will somehow show up in the custom sale screen and let me just edit the price. In the admin, I can, apparently, create an item called "Loose Chocolates" that doesn't have a price entered, but if you select that $0 item on the POS, there's no way to enter a price for it there. 

Bottom line, every time I wanted to sell loose chocolates, I'd have to do a custom sale and enter both the price and "Loose Chocolates" in the name field; and in that case, I wouldn't be tracking sales of loose chocolates either.

0 Likes
Massaad
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
329 0 35

Hi there John,

The ad-hoc pricing is only available when the custom price dialogue exists, that is correct. If you wanted to make a variable price, could you create "Loose Chocolates" for $1, or a smaller increment if needed, and add 2,3,4 etc to the cart to create the price multiples?

This wouldn't respect the stock tracking built in, which is something to keep in mind. It would show the sales per item properly, which I think is what your goal is. Would that work for your store's situation?

0 Likes
John_Helm
Excursionist
22 0 10

Hi Massaad,

I was actually replying on behalf of David, as I had tried to set up something similar for entering different shipping charges on the fly at the POS and I knew Andrew's answer wouldn't work. And for what it's worth, your answer is a total work-around that won't really operate very well in real life: if David's selling chocolate by weight at, say, $10/lb, he would not only have to round out the charge to the nearest dollar, but he'd also have an odd looking receipt that said he sold "x number" of loose chocolates that had nothing to do with the actual number of chocolates (or the weight, really). And try explaining that to a customer ...

0 Likes
Massaad
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
329 0 35

Hello John, it is definitely not what Shopify's POS set up was imagined for. We opted to simplify the features of this iPad app to just create a mobile cash register.

Physical cash registers will generally also not track (with labels per product) in cases such as this. The weight would be multiplied by the item (in price per gram lets say, not price per KG or pound - the smaller unit is very important). You could set up the "main buttons" of the cash register to specific bulk items however, and the same can be done with our POS app.

If you were selling by weight you would need to pick a much smaller option. You'll need to decide on the one smallest unit you will sell For example if selling by weight it may be a price per ounce that you round to, or price per gram which would be more accurate.

As for explaining to the customer, this shouldn't be necessary. The receipts can be customized and would show something similar:

256 grams of candy (at 2 cents a gram) -> 256 x Candy Bulk ( $0.02 per gram).

I would title the item "Candy Bulk ( $0.02 per gram)" so it automatically lines up, but this could be done with the liquid "replace" function, which is a bit more complicated.

Unfortunately US Imperial units can make it more complex to think about however you could also create prices for fractions of of ounces (more complex for the customer) or dram (more accurate and simpler). For the candy example that would read 256 x Candy Bulk ( $0.01 cent per dram)

0 Likes
David_Loblaw1
Tourist
10 0 3

Thanks for the replies, but I'm still at a loss. My Shopify website is generating huge amount of sales, and I want to switch over to Shopify POS from my current VEND POS. The only thing preventing me from switching to Shopify POS is my need for a variable price 'loose chocolate' button that I constantly use in-store in VEND.

Our 50 different chocolates are sold by one price per gram. For example: a customer chooses 12 different chocolates, we put them in a bag, put them on the weigh scale with our price per gram, then click LOOSE on our VEND POS and type in the price from the weigh scale. We do this all day, and at the end of the day I can see the product LOOSE has x$ in sales that day.

Can Shopify POS do this?  If so, I will switch immediately (and buy the bar code reader & generator and cash drawer.)

0 Likes
John_Helm
Excursionist
22 0 10

Hi David,

The short answer, I guess, is no, you can't do that exactly, because Shopify won't let you enter or edit an existing item's price at the POS. But, you can definitely do it the way Massaad suggests: create an item for a single gram of chocolate, call it "Loose Chocolates by the Gram", mark it at your price per gram, and then sell a multiple of that item based on the number of grams your customer is purchasing. If a customer is buying 10 grams of loose chocolates, you'd sell them 10 "Loose Chocolates by the Gram." Hope that helps!

0 Likes
David_Loblaw1
Tourist
10 0 3

Thanks, that may work.  I'll create a product called "Loose Chocolate" and set its price at 14.5cents (per 1 gram).  Instead of typing in the price as we now do in VEND, we'll type in the # of grams we see on the weigh scale.  If this works in my trial version of Shopify POS, I'll be switching over pronto.