I am SO confused about the "All New POS" and what it can use as a payment gateway.

Highlighted
Excursionist
11 0 4

I have been using Shopify for our merchant website for a few years now. When I set everything up for that initially, I set us up through Stripe as the payment processor. We are a wine retail store, and recently I made the choice to move on from our current POS and move into the shopify "all new" POS. Great, ok. The POS, it seems will ONLY connect to shopify payments for a credit card, pay at the terminal with the card (not manual entry) type of transaction. I am not able to use shopify payments because of their refusal to process "age restricted products", AKA the wine I sell. Fine, I get that, it's their choice. I understand that their hardware will only use their own payment gateway, again fine. I am more than willing to buy a Stripe terminal, or an Authorize.net one and use that.

The problem I have is that their "external payment" option is a joke. It is essentially a fancy way to mark an order as paid. I set one up, and nowhere in setting it up does it ask what to connect to or anything, it just makes a button that says what you want it to say, and when you hit it, it marks the order as "paid". I don't know if I am understanding all this, and I have gotten many different answers from a few different Gurus in the last week or so, but am I really to believe that if I don't use shopify payments, I CAN NOT ring a customer, and have them pay with their card in person, all in one easy step? Am I understanding this right? Shopify wants me to ring a customer, then manually enter that sale price into the external terminal (stripe, authorize.net etc), then have the customer pay there, and then mark it as paid in the POS? That is unacceptable for at least a few reasons. 1) such a huge potential for mistakes there, "whoops, I hit an extra 0 entering your price going from one system to another" 2) it takes longer, the lines at holiday time are bad enough! 3) returns can't be done through shopify, which means I would have to do the money return by calling stripe or authorize.net, or going to the back to a computer, logging into their portal, finding the transaction and reversing it, then go back to the POS, find the transaction and reverse it there, because if I don't the inventory gets messed up. 4) It just looks unprofessional. We aren't a neighborhood dry cleaner from 1996, I thought moving to shopify's POS would be uplifting our tech, not sending it back to the 90's!

I guess I have one question, I can sum up here: Is there any way for me to use the all new shopify POS and any payment provider besides shopify pay, and have it work with the POS in the exact same manor shopify payments would? I will get whatever hardware/terminal I need to. Is it possible? If not, then that REALLY sucks, because as much as I would love to solve my problems by using shopify payments, they will not let me do that, because I sell alcohol. What am I to do?

Highlighted
Excursionist
25 0 9

In short move away from Shopify POS. Problem solved. But that should not have to be the option. 

It seems they could fix this, existing card readers can integrate or talk to POS 

However with their current setup they force you to use their payment gateway   If you want the transaction recorded in Shopify. 

Good luck

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
11 0 4

Thanks Jewelcam, I am heavily researching other platforms to move on to, and unfortunately it means leaving the ecommerce side of shopify as well, since my one main need is a shared inventory between ecommerce and in store POS. Any suggestions for me to take a look at? Can't use any solution that uses an API to connect the two together, they are all too slow/buggy and it really messes with my inventory levels.

I want to stay, because in other ways Shopify has been great for me, but this is a deal-breaker... I sell wine, and therefore Shopify will not process my transactions, but I have my own Stripe account connected to the ecommerce side, works great. All I want is to be allowed to connect it to the POS as well. The POS hardware all runs on Stripe already, since Shopify Pay IS a Stripe account, so any argument from them about how the hardware won't work is bunk. I have been trying for weeks to find someone to speak with on a business to business level so I can propose opening up the POS and me passing the other 50% of my business through them (with 0.5% fee added on). If they say no, then that's their choice to make, but I want them to be aware that they will not only not get the other half of my business, but I will have to leave and take the half they get now away too. I'm sure they make so much they don't care about that too much, but I'm not asking for much either. I am asking for a feature and exception they have on the ecommerce side already, so clearly company policy is fine with it. The hardware already works with stripe (since shopify pay is powered by stripe). They won't let me process through their payment system, and I refuse to use a disconnected external payment system and use their POS only as a fancy "mark as paid" button. I know enough about code to say comfortably that if they wanted to, they could make this happen for me with VERY little effort, and they can get the other half of my business.

Pretty simple. Seems easy.  I have a rep working with me now, trying to even find out who can make that kind of decision, and it has been a couple weeks. Insane. I am running out of time here. How is it possible that an employee of the company can't speak to their boss, and that person to their boss etc, until we find someone I can send a direct email to or call on the phone? I understand they don't want to be flooded with every little request, but come on, I would like to be treated like the business partner that I am with them. I hate all this hidden, cloak and dagger stuff they do. No one important has a phone or email address according to Shopify. Drives me absolutely nuts.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
11 0 4

Any Gurus want to step in here? Hello?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
25 0 9

Rain has POS and ecom together but I have read a lot of no so good reviews. Yet they may work well. Idk

Have you used an API to push and pull data from Shopify before? You say it messes with your inventory and is slow? is that from experience?

if so what POS were you working with?

thank you

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
11 0 4

Yes, from experience unfortunately. I am currently using Vend to integrate with Shopify, and... it is going less and less well. I just finished messing around with Lightspeed, as they have a true shared inventory omnichannel system that has a POS and ecommerce. The issue is that the Ecom side is seriously lacking. We wouldn't even be able to set up our shipping rates correctly! And many other problems too. Why can one company not get this right? Seems I am looking for the impossible here.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
25 0 9
May I ask which Bridge you are using to sync the inventory? Is it Kosmos?
Thanks for the heads up on vend. I too am looking for a reliable POS. But I
want to stay with Shopify ecom I really like their e-commerce solution.

Highlighted
Excursionist
11 0 4

I am using the app that Vend built for shopify, so in-house solution. They have been so-so at getting back to me on trying to fix it, but it does seem like a pretty low level priority to them as not many people seem to be using it. Even if that were to get fixed, there are other limitations in Vend that I am not happy with that pertain to my specific business (wine) and the way we like to manipulate things like SKUs and images on top of the inventory issues. Just feels clunky for our use.

I am heavily researching Magento right now, after a pretty lack-luster demo and test with Lightspeed. Lightspeed's POS is MILES ahead of Shopify's and Vend's in many ways, unfortunately, their eCommerce side is very weak coming from Shopify. There are issues I have with Shopify's eComm side as well though, and that is a compounded issue I am keeping in mind as I try to figure out what ship to jump on now. For instance, once a customer hits "checkout" in my Shopify store, save for some language editing, I have NO control over the checkout process. Want to add local pickup and local delivery that connects to a 3rd party local delivery company? Can't do it there, you must instead add those buttons to your cart page, and it works, sort of. If you do that, be ready to have confused customers wondering why they have to give you their shipping address when they chose your in-cart pickup button. It's because Shopify actual, doesn't know that they want pickup. Can't tie it into their now OEM pickup service either, so you will lose the buttons for marking the orders as "pulled" and "picked up". You'll have to do what we did, and go to marking them fulfilled when gathered by us, and commenting in the order to say "picked up". Want to use Shopify's new local pick up option? Customers can't add a delivery date and time, and like I said you can't connect it to any 3rd party carriers, so I hope you have a van, and I hope you can call your customers and find out when they want their shipment! (That's a bigger problem for my business again, because we need an age approved adult signature on delivery for wine).

Magento seems scarier to jump into, but it also seems to hold the key for making a real, futureproof ecomm site tied with a POS that is of high quality. I will most likely have to hire or at least consult with an expert to get things set up in a way I can manage, but that just tells me we are leaving the low to mid volume sales level and pushing to higher volume. I want our quality to grow with that volume, and again, it may be more unique to my needs in the wine business, but I feel we have for sure outgrown Vend, and the more I research, I think we are outgrowing, or will outgrow shopify.

Sorry for the rambling, let me know if you have any leads I haven't thought of yet. Would LOVE to be shown how I am wrong about Shopify and its capabilities, trust me, the last thing I need is to have to migrate to a new platform, but it's getting to the point where I think the focused effort there on my part will save more than it's value in day to day trouble, busywork and irritations due to inefficiency and lack of direct control.

0 Likes