In store refund without order number

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Hi All,

I am just about to start transitioning a client over onto Shopify in preparation for their online store launch.

But I am just wondering is there a way to refund an order that may have been purchased before we moved to Shopify POS? So we won’t have an order number to refund against. 

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
575 18 75

Hi, @LiamHammersley

This is Max from the Shopify Team.

Short answer, no. There wouldn't be a way to process a refund within Shopify for an order that took place outside of our platform and the connected payment processor. You must offer a refund externally for orders placed elsewhere. You could, however, record this order and refunded amount within Shopify. 

If you are wanting to move old order data from one platform over to Shopify you could do this in a few different ways. App integrations can help import information over for your client's records quickly! Check out a few options here. Keep in mind that some of these can be costly, so, if this is only important for one order, you might want to consider other options.

Draft orders are another option for recording details. This might be a quick way to create and reference a customer and their order details within the new platform. Check out some of the details on that process, here.

Order notes and tags are a great tool for adding greater context and search-ability to your orders (this could be for imported orders, drafts, new orders). I'd suggest adding one or more of these options to your imported orders for some clarity!

Importing customer information via CSV could also be another way to approach this. You're able to edit customer details and add notes, kind of like the order option mentioned above! 

Let us know if this helps you get prepared for your client's new shop! We also have some great resources to share, like this Help Doc: Migrating to Shopify from another platform, that might come in handy as you explore the platform.

If you have any more questions about re-platforming, feel free to let us know here or reach out to Support directly here.

Cheers,
Max

Max | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes