Interested in POS, have questions

Steve_Powell1
Tourist
9 0 2

We are currently using the VEND POS integrated with a Shopify store. We are a small business that sells unique items, and I am the only IT staff they have. I am currently VERY unhappy with the Customer Support that Vend supplies, and baffled at how slow development of new features is for them. So I am looking at other options, and I think moving to Shopify could be a good move. We do not currently have an iPad so I cannot try out the trial so I have some questions I hope could be answered:

1. Being in BC, Canada we have 2 taxes. A PST and GST. In the online Shopify store they are automatically added together to charge the right amount of tax. However, we have need of making specific products PST exempt. Can we set specific tax rates to specific items in the POS?
  2. Continuing from #1, we also sell to PST exempt customers. Is there an easy way to only charge GST at the sell screen, or setup a general customer profile that only gets charged the GST tax?
  3. Does Shopify POS have a way of keeping track of a cash float?
  4. Can Shopify POS do lay-away sales?
  5. In Canada, almost all Credit Cards use the Chip Cards, so using the plug in Card Swiper is not expectable. Can we use an external Card Reader, preferably integrated with Moneris, to except chip cards? I notice your features page states this is USA only.
  6. When we close the cash register for the day can we print out a end of day report on the receipt printer?
  7. Is there a Loyalty Program in the works, do the loyalty Apps work with the POS?

All I can think of for now. Hope to hear back from someone.

0 Likes
Andrew_Paliga
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
233 0 29

Hi Steve, take a look at my answers: 

Being in BC, Canada we have 2 taxes. A PST and GST. In the online Shopify store they are automatically added together to charge the right amount of tax. However, we have need of making specific products PST exempt. Can we set specific tax rates to specific items in the POS?

Yes, you can exempt PST from certain products during your POS checkout.  It is easy to do

Continuing from #1, we also sell to PST exempt customers. Is there an easy way to only charge GST at the sell screen, or setup a general customer profile that only gets charged the GST tax?

Yup, same as above.

Does Shopify POS have a way of keeping track of a cash float?

Definitely, our Register feature.

Can Shopify POS do lay-away sales?

Definitely, just type in the amount and press "Mark as Paid". You can complete the order at a later date.

In Canada, almost all Credit Cards use the Chip Cards, so using the plug in Card Swiper is not expectable. Can we use an external Card Reader, preferably integrated with Moneris, to except chip cards? I notice your features page states this is USA only.

This feature is definitely available in Canada

When we close the cash register for the day can we print out a end of day report on the receipt printer?

You sure can.

Is there a Loyalty Program in the works, do the loyalty Apps work with the POS?

All apps should integrate with POS as our orders are all put in the same spot. Here is a list of the loyalty apps on the Shopify App store: http://apps.shopify.com/search/query?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=Loyalty

Hope this helps,

0 Likes
Steve_Powell1
Tourist
9 0 2

Thank you for the reply, that does help a lot! And thnk you for the web preview, i'll be playing around with this for a while. I have a few more questions if you don't mind:

Clarification on the card terminal: We are using Moneris for credit and debit transactions. Do we need to keep using a non-integrated terminal or is Shopify POS fully integrated with Moneris?

Is there a way to adjust the price of a product at the sell screen by increasing the price (Not discount)? The nature of our store is that we sell used items as well, so a lot of our stock is not inventory controlled or have a set price. We would need to setup generic product SKUs with a prices of $0 and be able to make the price whatever it needs to be right at the sell screen. The Custom Sale button won't work, as the sales still need to be tracked by a "Type". So we can reports on all Generic Hardware, Generic Plumbing, Generic Windows, etc... and I assume custome sales will be tracked under a single tag of Custom Sale.

Is there a way to set a sale. So a specific category/tag of products are automatically discounted when added to the sale?

0 Likes
Andrew_Paliga
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
233 0 29

Hi Steve, sorry for the delay, was travelling,

Clarification on the card terminal: We are using Moneris for credit and debit transactions. Do we need to keep using a non-integrated terminal or is Shopify POS fully integrated with Moneris?

Yes non-integrated for now.

.. and I assume custome sales will be tracked under a single tag of Custom Sale.

You can change the label for custom sales.

Is there a way to set a sale. So a specific category/tag of products are automatically discounted when added to the sale?

Not currently but our new discount flow is very quick.

0 Likes