Is Shopify POS really going anywhere???

Highlighted
1 0 1

I would like the capability of readers for chip/PIN here in the U.S. also. I am assuming that if someone has a chipped card, we will have to manually enter card and will be charged the higher % + for each of these transactions?? All of my personal cards have chips - most companies are sending out chipped cards at renewal so it won't be long before everyone has them.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
289 0 219

Hey Lisa,

I posted similarly in another thread, but it's worth mentioning here: we're actively working on a payment solution that supports EMV (chip cards). This will be ready in advance of the October 2015 merchant liability shift in the US. :)

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
66 0 8

What about in Ottawa, Canada, home of Shopify?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
66 0 8

So I was bored last night and decided hey lets get reporting working so I can streamline the end of shift for staff...1 hour later I have app that gives me correct Sales # for certain day (or range), including Tax, refunds, discounts, net sales.  When I figure out how to upload app so everyone can enjoy this I will...  I'm really enjoying rails.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 4

Whattttt..... Alex would you do something this as a custom job?  What you described alone would save me hours each month, but I have some other very simple DB type stuff diagrammed out that I would def pay to get created. Email me: thedgband@gmail.com 

thedgband ((a)) gmail dot com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
66 0 8

I was able to created a partner app and install on my shop, problem is the way I'm doing my queries needs to have all orders in DB, since I couldn't figure out how to do the query using the ShopifyAPI.  Heroku only gives me 10K rows for the DB which is where I had the app deployed.  If I use it as a private app and hosted on my server then is no problem, since my own DB I can have use as many rows as I want.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 5

Most of the problems with this system don't have to do with "features" but the lack of basic functionality. I don't know when it became such common place for developers to use paying customers as Alpha testers, (wouldn't even call this a beta). The response is always "a lot of people are interested", "we are working on that". I actually recall one of their employees saying something along the lines of "We wanted to release the product quickly so some of the functionality needs some work". (Will look for the actual quote and edit)

As someone mentioned, if Shopify POS was free and they only made money from transaction fees ect it could almost be forgiven but when you are charged $50 a month you expect issues to be resolved quickly, regular updates ect.

Almost every thread on this board is almost a year old and very few of the problems brought up are offered solutions other than workarounds that require purchasing apps. Returns, exchanges, reporting;before a dev even started with a UI one would imagine they would have sorted those things out as they are integral to running a business.

They don't seem to understand what people need from a POS nor to have done much research. 

The worst is when that language is used to refer to things that are clearly bugs or just broken systems i.e. most reporting ect. Hoping the card reader I bought from them will work with a different Ipad pos as thankfully that is the only thing I've really invested in.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
57 0 16

I left shopify a month ago. I'm only here cause I still get updates on this thread I posted on in the past. After 14 months of no worth while updates. I'm back to using Square. It works better overall, and doesn't have bugs. As I sat here stuck on shopify, watching monthly features coming out for square it was a no brainer really. Shopify is so far behind the curve that problems like will never get fixed. They have to put out the fires of shipping problems, problems with other country check out pages etc.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

We too are very disappointed with the Shopify POS.  We like the website but are so disappointed in the instore POS.  They obviously have never really listened to actual veteran shop owners.  Some of the flaws with the system come down to such basic functionality.  We share many of the concerns stated in this thread.  However our biggest concern is we have different tax rates for diff products and the lack of tax info on the end of day Summary is bizarre.  They think the reports will suffice but fail to see that those reports attribute refunds to previous days and totally screw up the reports of actual money earned on a particular date.  Talking to them about it is like banging your head against a wall. If this issue is not resolved soon we will be returning to a POS that we use at another location.

1 Like
Highlighted
Explorer
49 0 23

Exactly! Why the reporting is not realtime cash based in simply bizarre.  The promise to fix has last for well over 9 months.  It just makes no sense to go back in time and change historical facts of an order.  They wont let me go back and change a product Type but they will go back and make it like a product was never sold becasue it was returned 10 days later as opposed to posting a negative sale on day ten.  Same goes for gift card accounting. I have still not launched because they double count revenue.  I also asked for taxes to be on POS close but to so would mean them fixing the back end problem which seems like a pipe dream.

1 Like