Is Shopify POS really going anywhere???

Highlighted
Explorer
57 0 16

I too have been using Shopify for the last 6 months. I am looking at other options. Gift cards are still spotty. Custom set discounts etc not implemented. A stonewall from the dev team. The minute Square abandons their square store concept and allows your own online presence to be put on yoru own website. There will be a mass exodus from shopify to Square.

The reality is that Shopify is a small company with a small team. Turning out features is not their strong suit and they spend 50+% of their time fixing things that are broken for online commerce. This leaves little time for development of new features.

I watch square release a new feature every 2 weeks. I've seen one new feature in the last 6 months from shopify.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
39 0 33

Does anyone have any suggestions for the 'Holy Trinity' of systems, which is a good Inventory management System, POS and Online Store, all talking to each other and working like good cloud based systems! We used Vend with Shopify before but the synchronization was terrible, and every Inventory system seems way over complicated.. What we could give for a simple inventory system and a POS and online which were in synch.. maybe someday.

3 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
10 0 6

We are approaching 500 employees so I would find it a bit of a stretch to call Shopify a 'small company'.  As well, Shopify POS is now being used by a large number of customers - so much so that some estimations put us as surpassing Vend's total customer-base within just one year.

I understand your frustration that Shopify POS doesn't do everything yet.  We do have a great, active developer team (which we are hiring in two locations for if you know anyone) and we do have a roadmap of features which I really do think will make you all happy.  But I don't want to say "feature X is coming out on Y" because it sets up expectations and I would rather us do things right than rush to hit a release date.

Shopify POS is a top priority at the company.  For example, look at our new homepage - it's front and centre!  We're working on it and will get a lot of great stuff out soon.  Keep giving us suggestions though - the majority of our features that we're working on come from email and forum feedback.  So even though we're quiet on your feedback we're definitely reading it all and taking it up.

Craig

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Can I ask what sync issues you are having with Vend and Shopify? We are currently using both, and have zero issues with that. We have at least 1500 SKUs, with about a third online. We are looking at Shopify POS, but going on the comments above I'll stick with Vend. They do at least tell you whats coming and fix issues when they occur.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
52 0 42

So I've seen a slight facelift to the screen and a bug not letting the ipad screen turn off and draining the battery.  I don't want eye candy. I want improved features!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
23 0 50

We need to be able to add tip similar to squares setup. Such a feature would allow alot more companies to migrate to Shopify!

3 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
14 0 8

agree with Harold

Editable price , yes please

shopify pos is very nice looking and so painfully easy to use, as soon as we can set up variable price items or save labels (other than custom sale) we will be on board, hurry please!

4 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

we have 5 brick and mortar stores. we set up our website 2 years ago on Shopify and are happy with the website.

we have been using an old POS system for the last 20 years and it works fine, but we wanted to update, and it seemed natural to go with Shopify POS as they do such a great job with the web business and wanted to tie it all together.

as other people have said, we needed it to have COGS and all the reporting that currently goes into inventory control. we were told that their system does not have that, but if we downloaded QuickBooks and added an app such as Zapstitch or Softcookies it would all work great. we ordered 5 Ipads and 5 sets of all the hardware gear from Shopify.

after at least 20 calls to shopify support , I have found out the following: no one can tell us what exactly needs to be set up in quickbooks so that it talks to Shopify. we wanted to be able to receive all our items in quickbooks with costs, srend it over to shopify, and then have the sales sent back from shopify to quickbook so we could get all the reports we needed.

We called quickbooks and asked how to set this up with  their system and shopify, the told us we would have to talk with shopify. there dose not seem to be anyone at shopify to help the brick and mortar stores get set up.

we talked to zapstitch and softcookies, and asked if they could help us, but both said they only pushed the information through, not how to set up the information at both ends.

I am so frustrated with the whole process, that I have decided to send back all the equipment and go back to the latest version of my current software.

maybe we can at least send an updated inventory list daily to our website via a CSV file.    

shopify don't seem to understand the needs of brick and mortar stores that must have inventory control at the very least.

we are very disappointed, as we were so hopeful for it all to work .

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Unfortunately, my study of a wide range of cloud-based POS systems (Zing Register, SpotSync Checkout, Shopkeep POS, Leaf POS, GoPago POS, NCR Silver POS, Immongo POS, LightSpeed POS, Vend POS, Revel Systems POS, Pose POS, Amber POS, and Shopify POS) has shown me that none of them provide all of the capabilities I am looking for (POS, Inventory Management, Full Reporting/ Analytics, Email Marketing, Web Store Integration, Customer Management, Loyalty/Gift Card Capability, Automated Invoicing, Employee Timeclock/Management, Mobile Phone/Tablet App, and Accounting Integration) in an affordable way for the small business owner.  Each one seems to have at least one thing it does better than the rest. A few of them have all of the capabilities but get very expensive after you add up all the costs of the integrations and middleware/services you have to use to get the integrations to work. In fact, in some of those cases, your into the same cost as a full-fledged store management system with the only advantage (or disadvantage, depending on how you view it) being that your data is now stored in the cloud.

As of this moment that I'm writing this, my front runner for my start-up small business is this combination:  Shopify Web Store, Shopify POS, Mailchimp Email Marketing, and WorkingPoint Accounting(which integrates with Shopify without middleware). This allows for the most integration at the lowest price point that I have been able to find (all for under $200.00 per month). Does it have every feature and completeness I could wish for ? No, but it gives most of it.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 5

hi,

would love to see all these features and a timeline if they are even going to happen.

1. editing prices and open items that the price can be edited

2. better inventory management and reports

3. employee clock in/out system

i love the system and its east to use but i do miss some of the features we gave up leaving shopkeep POS to use Shopify over a year ago.

cheers,

2 Likes