Bad. Bad. BAAAAD. Is what I am hearing from all people about the POS. So what is the solution people are moving towards? Vend? Even the Shopify helpers told me that there are issues with Vend and inventory integration. We are retail, wholesale, web, Amazon and bricks and mortor.
I'm told the POS doesn't even have "cost of goods" as a field. How can this be and why?
I'd like to hear from users as well as the Shopify people monitoring this forum. Either defend your product or offer viable solutions.
Alex do you make custom POS apps? Any chance on making a very barebones app that can solve the terrible terrible permissions issue? (Hiding order data from staff members) I would pay for that RIGHT NOW!!! Or any work around that has that effect really. You can reach me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hi, i am new to all this, and Shopify doesn't look so promising after having read all the issues you guys are talking about here.
SHOPIFY Craig Miller said more than a year ago: "Shopify POS is a top priority at the company."
I don't see any changes here.
Can ANYONE please tell me what is the best online store to start with or any other tip?
Thank you all for all your comments and time you have given.
Shopify should concentrate on business side of Brick and motar stores and forget about all the marketing and advetising .
Established businesses need the system to run well and as we may all not be in the digital world we want .
sales returns exvhanges and inventory control to run smoothly.
Also I would like cost pricing on items.
I also see so many other threads that complain about shopify slow to implement new features. I am sure there are reason behind it, but for example tipping features on POS requested almost 2 years ago, and Shopify responded with saying they are working on it and still not happning. I am seeing the trends that, Shopify just say they are working on it if someone ask for the features and never actually happen or after 2-3 years. As someone else pointed out, their marking is good, but I think their spending too much time on it.
Wow. I've read through posts for the last 2+ years and Shopify has still not come up with a solution. StitchLabs allows multi-warehouse functions but it's an extra $50/month. Since I only have 1 online store and 1 pop-up shop, I'll be sticking with Square POS for in-person sales, managed by Stitch.
Get on this Shopify! You charge a high price for supposed amazingness so please deliver!
My company put all our eggs in this Shopify basket based on all the great things it says it can do and through our trial demo, however several of these "great things" and features touted on the site require several pricey apps to run, don't work properly, you don't know that something doesn't work right until after you've already made a huge financial investment in the system and receive notices after the fact. At this point, moving to another system is just not an option for my small company and I agree with the others on this thread. We aren't looking for insider company secrets, exact dates or feature releases or full on HOW TOs for upcoming features - we just want to know that you guys are hearing us and that we can expect something to be released.
My company would really appreciate the following features we've found lacking:
1. Gratuity feature
2. Misc. item whose price can be changed easily at will without creating a brand new product.
3. An actual working Store Credit option that connects the stored credit to the applicable customer account. Right now clicking "Store Credit" just puts money into a black hole of oblivion.
4. The ability to refund directly onto a gift card without having to create a new transaction.
5. Exchange items in one single transaction. Right now we have to process 2 transactions, a refund onto store credit (write down that exact amount, because again- black hole of oblivion), then process a purchase transaction rewarding the store credit amount. It makes for a very bulky and slow process.
6. Itemized charges to our company card. With everything being charged as "Shopify" on our corporate card, it makes it very difficult to know which charges are transaction fees, which are apps and which are the monthly Shopify charges. We need this info for tax purposes, so we're a little frustrated over it.
7. A way to attach a QR code to a customer account so our regular customers can easily present their Member card, we wand in the QR and it brings up their customer account to the cart so we don't have to slow their process down by searching for them. This would be extremely helpful for our membership program (which currently has to go through a rather expensive Wholesale App... not the greatest, but its getting us through until something better comes along).
8. The option to have only Online E-Commerce orders process through as an email notification. We don't need to get an email everytime one of our staff sell something in store, but we DO need to know when an online comes through so we don't have to log in to our admin, open the "Online Orders" Search results tab we created and follow through from there. Now that we are live for our POS system, I'm concerned that we will lose online orders in the process. Emails from online customers are already getting lost amidst all the POS email notifications.
9. A better discount program feature. We have to use 3 different discount locations to run everything. The "Discounts" tab in our admin for our online discounts, the "Sales Manager" app for our POS discounts and the "Wholesale" app for our member discounts. All three of those sections have very different discount capabilities and keeping track of everything is tedious and frustrating. One singular discounting feature would make life so much easier with the ability to checkbox whether that discount is for "Online", "POS" or both.
10. The ability to merge customer accounts. When we first launched our POS system, we encouraged our customers to create their own accounts online before coming into the store location. However, once customers realized the capabilities of the accounts, many parents want to merge their and their children's separate accounts into one singular family account without losing the rewards points and purchase history.
11. Give the option to print or email the receipt BEFORE the receipt just auto prints. Many of our customers don't need nor want a receipt for a purchase of a candy bar (btw- the receipts generated are GIGANTIC), but there is no way to shut off the auto print feature. Other customers don't want the paper receipt and would prefer an emailed version, but again- there is no way to make that choice for them until after the paper version has printed. We are hemorhaging receipt paper which is quite costly due to this.
12. A better barcode printer system. In our old system we used to just be able to open the product, alter the stock amount and press "print barcodes", select how many we needed and print. The app that connects directly from Shopify to the barcode printer isn't fully functional, so had to download TWO apps into our account just to get it to print what we need. So now we have to alter the inventory count of a product, open an app, select print barcodes, open another app, select print updated products, go back to the first app and finally print. Otherwise, using only one of the apps causes the barcode printer to print barcodes for every single product's inventory count. Using the "shopify" barcode feature doesn't print the barcodes correctly, doesn't include the variations or puts "Default" on everything and doesn't have the price of the product listed. The design elements are extremely limited without the additional apps. It would be so much better if it was fully integrated with the product inventory.
Don't get me wrong- there are many features and things about Shopify that we do enjoy very much, but we were discouraged to learn after already ordering all our hardware and switching systems over that the POS system program was a relatively newer feature. This is very obvious as there are significant holes in the system that really weren't thought through all the way before launch. Again- we aren't looking for super top secret high level clearance information on your features roadmap- we just want to know that you ARE working on SOMETHING and we can expect some of the requested features to be on their way or even an approximate release time (ie: spring 2016, fall 2017, etc) so we can plan better.
Thanks for hearing me out and I hope to see some of these holes fixed and features released soon. (Fingers crossed!)
I am in the same boat as a lot of you. I'm in the process of inputting all my store's thousands of products into the POS system (about 75% complete) and am only now discovering some major holes in functionality that I assumed would be part of any standard POS system, e.g. cost of products (to calculate profit), low inventory notices, variable cost items, separate notifications for online vs in-store orders.
I got in touch with Shopify support about the lack of cost input for products, and they told me straight up that they aren't going to implement that feature; it's been rejected by the developers for being "too complicated". They suggested I use the Profiteer app, which lets you input cost per product and costs $15-30USD/mo. I asked why it was possible for an app to be able to do it, but it be "too complicated" to add as a basic feature, and they had no response.
I am getting worried now that I wasted dozens of hours and hundreds of dollars implementing this system when it doesn't have the basic features we need. I had a tough time deciding between this POS and LightspeedPOS, but eventually went with Shopify because of their better eCommerce functionality. I hope I don't come to regret that decision.