Just started using POS and have some questions / suggestions

Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

First the questions

1. I purchased the scanner and I see there is a way to print barcodes with dymo but I have over a thousand products, some of which have barcodes printed on their packaging.  How do I use shopify POS and the scanner with the current barcodes in our system.  I do not want to have to print out all new barcodes and re-sticker all our products  For example - All the books we sell in our store have a barcode printed on the back of the book.

2. Is there a way to stop the pop up window on the iPad that says the printer is connected.  Everytime we unlock our iPad that window pops up 4 or 5 times in a row.

3. Will there be in store gift cards?  

4.  Will the POS run smoothly on an iPad mini?

Suggestions:

1. If there won't be in store gift cards anytime soon it would be great if we could still sell online only gift cards that we can e-mail to customers with their receipt.  Right now we are using our old system for gift cards and Shopify for most of our transactions.  The only reason we have the old system still is so we can make in store gift cards.  I am not sure if in store gift cards are coming to Shopify anytime soon but it would be great if we could at least sell the online version and let our customers receive there gift card in an e-mail even if it's only to use online.

2. It would be great if the main All Products category was sorted by Best Selling by default.  I know we can make another category and make that best selling but we have to add products to it every time we create one.  If the All Products is best selling by default it's a win win for online and POS because we want to highlight our best selling products online and we want easy quick access to our best selling products through POS.

3. Being able to put a customers check out on hold to check someone out would be a really awesome feature.

So far I like the system and I like the potential it has because I know that Shopify will continue to add amazing features that people need.  Keep up the great work.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
233 0 28

Hi T.J.,

Thanks for the feedback.

1. I purchased the scanner and I see there is a way to print barcodes with dymo but I have over a thousand products, some of which have barcodes printed on their packaging.  How do I use shopify POS and the scanner with the current barcodes in our system.  I do not want to have to print out all new barcodes and re-sticker all our products  For example - All the books we sell in our store have a barcode printed on the back of the book.

You can associate your own barcodes with product variants by clicking on the "Edit" button next to variants in the products page.

2. Is there a way to stop the pop up window on the iPad that says the printer is connected.  Everytime we unlock our iPad that window pops up 4 or 5 times in a row.

This will be gone in our next update (2-3 days)

Will there be in store gift cards?  

Yes, fairly soon.

4.  Will the POS run smoothly on an iPad mini?

Yes

2. It would be great if the main All Products category was sorted by Best Selling by default.  I know we can make another category and make that best selling but we have to add products to it every time we create one.  If the All Products is best selling by default it's a win win for online and POS because we want to highlight our best selling products online and we want easy quick access to our best selling products through POS.

Interesting point. We will definitely consider this.

3. Being able to put a customers check out on hold to check someone out would be a really awesome feature.

I have heard this from a surprisingly large amount of customers. We will take a serious look at this soon.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly Andrew!  I can't say enough positive things about Shopify!  You guys are great at what you do, keep it up!

0 Likes