Logging in on a Tablet Needs All Access

Laura_Devinsky
1 0 0

I have a store that has multiple people doing sales. A few of these people need the access to reports, domains, and other important information. A few of these people also don't need to access the domains or reports - but still need to be able to do sales. We have a tablet to do this off of, as well as anyone who has Shopify POS on their phone. However, the way the settings work - someone has to have full access (to domain, reports, etc) to be able to do sales from the tablet and/or their phone. How as a business are you supposed to be able to hand someone a tablet, let's say you hire them for a particular event for a day, and let them do sales/business without letting them have access to the valuable information? I don't want that information just floating around on a tablet. It's a little backwards that they can have all those restrictions all great and dandy on a desktop computer, but those restrictions can't be converted over to a tablet or phone. 

Shopify, you're wonderful in many ways. But this is a fatal flaw in your system. Has anyone figured out a way to somehow get around it? 

0 Likes
Patrick_Moloney
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
220 1 27

Hi, Laura!

Patrick, a Shopify Guru here :). 

If you're using the Retail package you should be able to set up POS staff accounts for the iPad, this will limit their permissions such that they won't be able to access any additional information from the admin on the POS. Have a look here to see how it would work on the iPad. :)

As for the iPhone, at the moment,  you would need to have full access to the account to be able to use it,  but I can definitely see how this would be useful. We are constantly trying to improve our service so I will add your suggestion to our Epic want list to see if it can be added in a future update. :)

Hope that helps, if you have any more questions feel free to drop us a line at support@shopify.com
Patrick

0 Likes
Chris_Laidlaw
2 0 0

I am having the same issue with the Shopify POS. The POS only staff option does not solve the problem as only a staff with full access can login to the POS to start the shift. That would mean that any staff member who is opening would have total unfettered access to the complete Shopify setup and system. Why would a business give total access to all company info and backend changes to an employee just so they can open the register. Makes absolutely no sense. I have seen threads on this issue dating back years and it has still not been resolved by Shopify, so either they don't care or it is very difficult to fix without fundamental changes to the software. I can't recommend this software to anyone at this point as the security risks are too great. It may take a lawsuit from a Shopify customer who experienced catastrophic damage to their business from a disgruntled or unaware employee accessing their backend to push this change through. Too bad because the POS product has potential.

0 Likes
Chris_Laidlaw
2 0 0

I am having the same issue with the Shopify POS. The POS only staff option does not solve the problem as only a staff with full access can login to the POS to start the shift. That would mean that any staff member who is opening would have total unfettered access to the complete Shopify setup and system. Why would a business give total access to all company info and backend changes to an employee just so they can open the register. Makes absolutely no sense. I have seen threads on this issue dating back years and it has still not been resolved by Shopify, so either they don't care or it is very difficult to fix without fundamental changes to the software. I can't recommend this software to anyone at this point as the security risks are too great. It may take a lawsuit from a Shopify customer who experienced catastrophic damage to their business from a disgruntled or unaware employee accessing their backend to push this change through. Too bad because the POS product has potential.

0 Likes
Liz_Nara_Nisens
1 0 0

It would be extremely useful if this could be done on an iPhone/Android as well. It's an extremely common use-case that a salesperson would be remote with a phone and card reader and some product and would need to be able to sell, without having full admin access to reports, revenue, users, etc...  In fact, most additional staff/sales-people will likely not have complete access but will be asked to sell. How far away are we from having the pin-login on the iPhone, specially since some iPad's don't have 3g/LTE and sales people can find themself at a spot where only their phone works.

0 Likes
Matthew_Hollan1
Tourist
5 0 3

I have just come across this problem while testing shopify POS + Retail for implementation in our bricks and mortar store.   Everything had been going well until now but this looks like a show stopper for us.

The problem I am experiencing is that although I can set up limited staff accounts for iPad POS access, if the ipad is logged out of shopify completely it REQUIRES a FULL ACCESS ADMIN user to do the initial login to the shopify app.  A limited access or staff account will not work for that forst login.  

If what I am seeing is correct we can not go ahead with a shopify install, our shop is often staffed sole charge by people who will only have staff level accounts and to give them a FULL access login just so they can start shopify again up if the iPad has been turned off, gone flat or just logged out by accident is not going to be possible.  

Can you please confirm if what I am seeing is correct or if there is some workaround.

Regards

Matt Holland

0 Likes
Patrick_Moloney
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
220 1 27

Hi, everyone!

Patrick, a Shopify Guru here :).

@Matt: At the moment what your seeing is correct, to load the iPad you would need to have full access to the account. On the iPad, you have access to a lot of the stores information so as a security feature it's set up so only those with full access can import the store. Once it's imported aside from turning off or being logged out it would be constantly logged in and your sales staff who don't have full permissions should be able to access it without any issues.

@Liz: I don't have any updates on this at the moment, if it does become a feature on a future release you should see announcements on our blogs or newsletter. :)

0 Likes