Looking to update pos, and take in jobs virtually.

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

We own two jewelry stores and are looking to update our pos systems. We currently take in repair jobs and write info on a job ticket about the job and the person who left it with us. We are in search of a way to record the job to where it can be pulled up at any time and also give customers a section to sign saying that the jewelry is theirs, they'll pick it up etc. We also are looking into possibly having them leave a deposit on the job. Can Shopify POS system do that of is there an app out there we can add to it?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

I need something where I can take in repairs write notes on the repair, have them sign that they left their item. We also do custom things, lay away, and need a way to keep track of things like this.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
692 51 138

Our company has soon to be 6 retail locations, and process a heavy amount of repair jobs. In-house jewelry and watch repairs, outside manufacturer repairs, custom jobs, etc. We are considering using Shopify POS as our new front-end POS, although it lacks true job repair handling. We need to have an audit trail of who all has handled a job, what stage in the process it's in, where all location-wise the job has been, etc.

We use Advanced Retail Management Systems (www.armsusa.com) for back-end inventory management and repair job tracking. Integrated into Shopify POS, so the customer's repair job number with its costed payment due is just another Shopify POS product for the customer to purchase. In terms of a cloud-based POS solution that has some repair management functionality, I'd suggest looking at Lightspeed Retail (www.lightspeedhq.com). While their repair module doesn't really granularly track repair jobs, otherwise it's pretty solid.

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

Thanks for the feedback! So if something sells either online or through your store how do y'all update it on the backend? Do product quantities update automatically or do you have to manually go in to arms and update it yourself?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
692 51 138

We have things integrated where one system updates the other. Via API hooks.

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 3

Hello there,  We too are currently using ARMS for our front end and also back end. Did you end up finding a good solution to your issue? We are also thinking about the future and trying to see what all options there are?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
25 0 9

Hi

We are in Retail Jewelry also with a full line inhouse repair shop.

We have been using Jewelry Shopkeeper is over 15 years.  Been in biz for 26 years.  We currently use Prestashop for our online sales. 

I have looked at Lightspeed, and Ecom, i dont like how their layaways track payments, and i don't like their Repair/Work order collection as it is only set to take one item per job/ticket.  As you know a lady may bring in several items per Repair job. 

Now i've started looking at Shopify online and Shopify POS. 

Since we have a repair shop, layaways, store credits tracked by person and Special orders.  Im wondering if Shopify POS can handle all that with ease?

We really want a system that has a real omnichannel experience, without breaking the bank! 

Any suggestions? Im at a crossroad and dont know which way to go. I just dont want to get the wrong system and spend alot of TIME and then realize i have to settle with it or make it work. So im trying to do as much research now (been doing to for a year).

Thanks for any insight

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
692 51 138

For our testing of Shopify POS, I was able to export out all daily activity via their API. I pipe this into a local SQL Server database, so that I can report off of store credits, in-house charges, layaways, etc. Then through the Shopify POS SDK I was able to create a custom private app, that allows the POS operator to collect information for new special orders. These items are typically one of a kind and not present in our inventory. The private app also has a few other functions (like identifying split salespeople).

The only gap we couldn't patch through custom development involved Shopify POS and repairs. We handle most in-house, but we also send them off to the manufacturer at times. We need to track where a job is and what stage it's in. While also needing to see the historical activity of the job. Lightspeed Retail has repair functionality, although it lacks a bit of the historical tracking (i.e. - like an audit trail) we need. We decided that if we were to implement Shopify POS then we'd have to stick with ARMS for initially issuing new repair jobs as a separate system. It would be integrated though, so that the job could be paid for in Shopify POS as a SKU'ed inventory item.   

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
25 0 9

@WWRareJewels wrote:

We own two jewelry stores and are looking to update our pos systems. We currently take in repair jobs and write info on a job ticket about the job and the person who left it with us. We are in search of a way to record the job to where it can be pulled up at any time and also give customers a section to sign saying that the jewelry is theirs, they'll pick it up etc. We also are looking into possibly having them leave a deposit on the job. Can Shopify POS system do that of is there an app out there we can add to it?

Hi WWRare Jewels,  i would like to know if you went with Shopify POS, and if so are you satisfied? We are a Jewelry store as well and are looking for a new POS. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
53 1 47

So Shopify is more of a front end experience....the website and POS are front end and do not really manage inventory and order processing to the level you are looking for. You can do partial pay on the website and manage layaways, but it has nothing to truely track cost of good sold and many other things you may need. You most likely will want a inventory management software that integrates with Shopify and just use Shopify and its POS for the front end. There are inventory management softwares that have excellent order tracking for manufacturing processes, repairs, etc. Shopify is more of just a front end.