Looking to update pos, and take in jobs virtually.

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 3

Thanks Stephen! Do you have some recommendations of stable inventory management / repair programs that would integrate well with Shopify POS? Thanks!

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
53 1 46

@rhaqI'm not sure your needs, however I did a demo some time back with ERPAG (it's in the Shopify store) and it has substantial manufacturing features. I am not a manufacturer so it wasnt quite right for my business, but I did like it. It has a great Shopify sync and a QBO sync, Obviously from a demo I am not a expert on it nor your specific business needs, but that is where I'd start, the price isnt bad either. I would use it to manage everything from the back end and use Shopify and it's free POS (fancy cash register) on the front end. I'm not saying go with Erpag....just that I'd start there... it has a LOT of features and may suit you perfectly. Especially features like work order and being able to track a work oder through its process.

Also, if you order a lot of things for customers and need to know who it's for when it arrives to you, I'd also check out Order Time. Its pretty awesome too but I'm not sure if it has the features you would need for repair work (which in my mind is maybe more like manufacturing needs)....it DOES have some manufacturing features but I'm not as familiar with them because I didnt pay attention to that part of the software since I didnt need that. I think it has features like bill of materials, but I dont THINK it has work orders and taking them through a process....but maybe be wrong about that, you'd just have to check it out......But it may suite you well also, its a fantastic software.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 3

Thanks! I will check it out.  Being in the jewellery business, its tough to find the perfect solution.  Unfortunately I don't think someone has created the most ideal jewellery specific POS/Inventory system yet that is modern and easy to use. 

Highlighted
Excursionist
25 0 9

@rhaq wrote:

Thanks! I will check it out.  Being in the jewellery business, its tough to find the perfect solution.  Unfortunately I don't think someone has created the most ideal jewellery specific POS/Inventory system yet that is modern and easy to use. 

Agreed We are in Retail Jewelry for 26 years,  Most everything out there is lacking as far as keeping up with tech and the omni experience for the customer.  Keep us posted if you find a working solution. 

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
667 47 134

After pursuing the "perfect" solution for the better part of 20 years now, it's a tenuous scenario. There isn't any off-the-shelf solution that will fulfill most key critical requirements. We have looked at some larger providers in the past, and their solutions were more vanilla, and required a fair amount of customizations. Meaning significant expense getting something implemented.

Our long-term goal involves connecting a couple different solutions via API integrations. Currently we are looking at implementing Shopify POS for the front-end. And keeping ARMS' inventory and repair system for the back-end. While supplementing ARMS with Pipedrive for CRM. Sooner or later we will replace ARMS with a different inventory and repair system. For now it's solid, reliable, and provides good reporting data. Plus I was the developer who coded the ARMS API, mainly out of necessity to help future-proof things a little :)  

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

When you say back end, do the programs actually share customer CSV's? or do they each have their own, that you have to manually merge? That's the problem I'm having now. I'm using a separate repair tracking cloud based system that works great for repairs/services, but it takes so much time and frustration to manage two different customer databases, one in shopify and the other in the repair tracking system. Also it would make things easier if I could make payments on repair tickets directly in the software, instead of applying a payment, then going over to my Shopify POS system to process the payment.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
667 47 134

These integrations don't involve manually exporting and importing in CSV files. Using the API through web service calls I pull and push the data. Each system has its own data set that is synced up. Here's a basic example:

• A new customer comes into the store to drop off a watch for repair.
  • The salesperson creates a new customer record and a new repair job in the ARMS application and issues a repair ticket.
  • The new customer record is pushed into Shopify POS.
  • The new repair job in ARMS is pushed into Shopify POS as a dummy SKU.
  • When the job is ready for pickup, the customer comes in to pay for it.
  • The salesperson rings up the dummy SKU in Shopify POS for the customer's purchase.
  • The sold item pushes back into ARMS SS as a completed repair job.

The pushing and pulling are basically scheduled polling runs of my custom program that hits the API of both Shopify and ARMS. Looking at timestamps the last activity and just those changes. In these steps, those changes would be a new ARMS customer record, a new ARMS repair job, a sold Shopify SKU, etc.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
667 47 134

These integrations don't involve manually exporting and importing in CSV files. Using the API through web service calls I pull and push the data. Each system has its own data set that is synced up. Here's a basic example:

• The salesperson creates a new customer record and a new repair job in the ARMS application and issues a repair ticket.
  • The new repair job in ARMS is pushed into Shopify POS as a dummy SKU.
  • The salesperson rings up the dummy SKU in Shopify POS for the customer's purchase.

The pushing and pulling are basically scheduled polling runs of my custom program that hits the API of both Shopify and ARMS. Looking at timestamps the last activity and just those changes. In these steps, those changes would be a new ARMS customer record, a new ARMS repair job, a sold Shopify SKU, etc.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
667 47 134

• The new repair job in ARMS is pushed into Shopify POS as a new product SKU.
  • The salesperson rings up the product SKU in Shopify POS for the customer's purchase.

Highlighted
Excursionist
25 0 9

@Greg_Kujawa wrote:

• The new repair job in ARMS is pushed into Shopify POS as a new product SKU.
  • The salesperson rings up the product SKU in Shopify POS for the customer's purchase.

Thanks for the information.  I have been talking with Lightspeed and they are trying to sell me on letting lightspeed do the backend and POS and Shopify for the ecom. 

They charge a $99 connection fee to push and pull data between the two.

Their Lightspeed does the layaways, special orders, and repairs, plus offers a good inventory management system. However, I'm not sure if the layaways, special orders, and repairs data would be stored in the customer's online account in Shopify. 

On the other hand, it would be nice to work with one system like Shopify and their POS, that is what I would prefer. That way I do not have to learn to systems.