More Problems With Sales Reports

Highlighted
Excursionist
22 0 10

Three months in and it's still difficult (if not impossible) to get accurate daily sales and sales tax numbers out of Shopify's reports. Any day with a return or payment with store credit or gift card usually means I'll have to go through the individual sales to make sure I get the numbers right because Shopify just doesn't know what to do with them.

And if you don't already know, I'll warn you again: when a customer returns an item, SHOPIFY DOES NOT RECALCULATE SALES TAX DUE - ANY SALES TAX REPORT FROM SHOPIFY WILL TELL YOU THAT YOU OWE THE GOVERNMENT SALES TAX ON THE ORIGINAL SALE AND ON THE NEW SALE USING STORE CREDIT.

Now, I've just discovered that Shopify's sale reports also do not reflect returns. I sell a number of items on consignment and I've been using the sales reports to create consignment payout statements. In June, I sold a consigned $300 glass box that was returned a week later, but according to Shopify's sales reports, all I did was sell one of those boxes last month. Again, I just don't understand their thinking - anyone with a shop (or a brain) will tell you, if you sold it and it was returned, well, then, you didn't really sell it, did you? And on top of that, there's obviously no report for returned items. So, I've probably overpaid my consignment vendors for the last three months and I don't see any way to prevent that in the future.

Any thoughts/ideas?

2 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
39 0 33

I have to concur with this. While I agree with other users that it would be very beneficial to have nice things like gift cards, loyalty, logos on receipts etc. it is far more important that shopify concentrate on making the basic elements of a POS work, simple things like detailed end of day reports, and clear ways to deal with refunds and laybys. I have major concerns about just how Shopify is recording and reconciling sales and refunds and I don't think we can continue using the system for much longer unless some real progress is made soon.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
111 0 7

Hi John,

First, I want to apologize for these issues you (and others) have been dealing with. Although there have been delays getting to this I want to assure you it's something important to us that we will resolve. To clarify on the specific issues that you mentioned:

Sales Tax

We will be updating the Tax Rate report to take into account partial amounts (paid and refunded).

Product Sales

Currently the product reports only offer gross sales. We are looking into adding a refunded amount to this report, however the one problem right now is that if you do a partial refund on an order with more than one product there's no way to attribute an exact refunded amount to each product. Full refunds however we will be able to indicate in the reports.

We do appreciate your feedback provided on this. I will update this thread with any changes to the above issues.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
11 0 1

Has this fix been implemented yet?  Do the current sales tax reports subtract the refunded sales tax?

1 Like