We are online and brick & mortar and have been using Shopify POS for our in-store sales.
We have opportunities to set up outposts of our shop at other physical locations and want to set up POS kiosks that will be mostly self-serve.
Can this be done with Shopify POS? Have you done this with Shopify or any other POS? I'd love to hear from you!
1. We'd need to have a CARD READER THAT CHARGES. We currently have a 30 pin Card Reader that doesn't charge our ipad. Have you successfullly used a Shopify Power-Based Card Reader and successfully kept your ipad charged? I wanna know!
2. We'd need a mounting case that would allow for the card reader, cover the "Home Button", and allow mounting to the wall. Do you know of such a mounting case?
3. 2nd , 3rd, 4th.... POS locations...Is there a way to set up a second POS location and allocate inventory to that location?
4. What are other issues, I'm not yet considering, about setting up a kiosk?
5. What OTHER POS would you recommend, instead of Shopify? If Shopify POS doesn't allow for more locations, I could use Square or other POS for these outposts. Do you have a recommended POS for such a task?
I'm Alex, your friendly neighbourhood Guru at Shopify.
Shopify's POS system isn't designed with self serve in mind (at least yet!). There is likely regulations to overcome before we can offer and run that kind of an implementation. To answer your questions:
1. Both the lighning and 30-pin card readers come equipped with a micro-USB pass-through port for charging.
2. We don't currently offer a case to obscure the home button. As a result, any of the mounts we offer would pose a security risk for self-serve purposes.
3. There isn't currently a way to allocate inventory to different locations, although it's a request we're aware of!
4. As it's something we don't offer, I won't have too much to contribute on any other issues you might encounter, but I'm sure there are certain regulations to be met, and the matter of security. In some special cases, blocking the home button might not to everything, and you might even need a soft lock on the device. Our current infrastructure is designed around the merchant processing the payment themselves on the terminal, and wouldn't be well suited to customers checking out themselves.
5. I'm afraid I'm not as well versed in alternative services, so I hope someone else in here can chime in!
I hope that helps a bit.
All the best.
Here at Facelet we make a platform for self-service retail kiosks. It works great for creating an endless aisle, contextual kiosks for in-store visual merchandising and distant selling in pop-up and other physical locations. Thus it sounds similar to what you are looking for :) We already have an integration with Shopify and currently working on integration with Shopify POS. If you are still looking for a solution, please, contact me on email@example.com.
Here at Facelet we make a platform for self-service retail kiosks. It works great for creating endless aisles, contextuatl kiosks for in-store visual merchandising and distant selling in pop-up or other locations. It sounds similar to what you are looking for :) If you are still looking for a solution, please, contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org, I'd be glad to help you!