New POS cost increase November 1 2020

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 6

I just got an email from Shopify that on November 1 2020 I will have to Pay an additional $89 a month plus my monthly Shopify Subscription of $79 so my customers can pick up their orders (curbside pickup) at my physical location.

Can this be true?

I thought that during this Covid Crisis that has shut down so many retail businesses that offering Curbside Pickup was just another shipping option and charging another $89 per month is not very supportive of Shopify.

How many of you are OK with this?

2 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 2

Nope. It's going to triple my annual fee, or I can lose all of the features that made it attractive for my 2 brick and mortar shops. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 6

So I am right Shopify is increasing our costs during this economic crisis that is crippling small business.

What can we do?

3 Likes
Highlighted

I don't think they are trying to increase costs. They made the app free for a long time and nothing can be free for ever (Shopify has bills to pay, too).

ConnectPOS - Shopify POS app for PC, Android, iOS, omnichannel retail, inventory control.
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 2

Well if someone is getting it for free it certainly isn’t  me. 

my annual subscription is just under 900 USD a year. I use that subscription to run 2 brick and mortar locations (no on-line sales). 

New plan? 1068 USD per B&M. 2136 USD. 

so let’s say they do scrap the subscription. My costs just doubled. 

If they don’t scrap the subscription my annual cost for POS services goes from 1175 CAD to 3996 CAD. 

I think the math pretty much sums up what I feel about it, and it won’t be hard to figure out what my next steps as a business owner are. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 6

That is aweful.

Our concern is that providing Curbside Pickup through out Shopify website is now going to cost us an additional $89 per month to have that option in our shopping cart for customers.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Curbside pickup seems to be a thing these days. 

Was it that popular before the epidemic?

ConnectPOS - Shopify POS app for PC, Android, iOS, omnichannel retail, inventory control.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 13

To think that Shopify is doubling our fees especially when so many small businesses are suffering economically during this pandemic is beyond words. We have not been utilizing Shopify Pro during this "free" test period and let me just tell you, if you don't elect to go with Pro, don't even try to call support! THEY WON'T ANSWER YOUR CALL!  Only those that subscribe to Shopify Pro are blessed with phone support. Those who fail to upgrade will only receive support via email or chat. Imagine having an emergency in your brick & mortar storefront and being #250 in a chat query!  My apologies, however, our store is only 350 sq.ft. in a very rural small town. Paying $168 a month just for a POS system is EXTREME at best!

2 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 13

YES! They are increasing costs by DOUBLE!

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 2

I'm not okay with it, adding 1000+ to my payment, doesn't sit well with me. 

Has anyone used square for a pos and online store? If so how does it compare? 

0 Likes