Open or Variable Price item in POS

clbetzler
Tourist
4 0 1

We need this feature too! Going back to square if we can't get this featured add...quickly!

Harel
Shopify Partner
35 0 2

Hi guys,

After adding a product to your cart, click on the product's name -> discounts > price override.

You can do so to the entire cart as well if preferred.

Happy Q4!

A Shopify merchant.
Founder of @Staffy (https://apps.shopify.com/staffy) - Employee management platform for Shopify.
0 Likes
ClareCinnabar
Tourist
4 0 10
Hi, regarding the open price workaround, this isn’t really an option where you have a very busy store with hundreds of items with open price points. The user experience is clumsy and requires a lot of concentration and tapping through. Can I suggest you have a loot at the way MobiPos has an open price option? This is a really great POS app and it’s cheap. We are using it currently because of the open price option but if Shopify added a feature like this I would switch tomorrow and so would many other bricks and mortar stores

jdlm
Tourist
3 0 1

Also the feature doesn't appear to be available on an iPhone. Maybe it's just a tablet feature?

0 Likes
SMO13
Tourist
4 0 12
This multi-step work around is not a solution to a problem so many of us fast-paced retailers need. Hapy Q4 to you too.
Felizhome
1 0 1

This workaround would be fine for us except that it does not allow us to do this if the price we want to enter is higher than we have in the system.  We then have to have the products in at ridiculously high retails which isn’t ideal for reporting purposes.  Simply changing it to allow any price to override would be a good start.

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
2571 136 453

@Felizhome wrote:

This workaround would be fine for us except that it does not allow us to do this if the price we want to enter is higher than we have in the system.  We then have to have the products in at ridiculously high retails which isn’t ideal for reporting purposes.  

If the situation allows it because you have different products in the POS channel try just adding a variant to be the higher priced anchor item. 

An alternative for by-the-measure products is to invert the problem and use the quantity as the price( so $1 worth of item is $0.01 price x 100)

Merchants should keep in mind a complication here is letting POS operators being able to casually modify a price point is not a good thing for reporting and more importantly audits. 

This also goes hand in hand with having POS able to handle draft orders https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-for-Retail-Stores/Complete-Draft-Order-on-Shopify-POS-missin... so you may want to review the draft orders process and other comments in the link thread to see if that's a feature request thread that may apply to you and if so toss your hat in.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes
SMO13
Tourist
4 0 12
That reply says nothing to me except that someone thinks they know better how to run my business than I do. I don't need a work around, I need an open price item, a "miscellaneous" button if you will, for a fast paced checkout solution to bad barcodes/missing tags/whatever I want to use it for. I know what fits my business as do so many others who have commented on this thread in support of this option going to developers. The reply from the "shopify partner" is demeaning in that they know how to run my business better than I.
I do not understand why the shopify partner wants to give business advice (why we don't need what we need) instead of working to get the needed task (see how many comments are on this post & other similar posts) into development.
The reply made me feel like I was talking to the wall, not a partner.
PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
2571 136 453

@SMO13 wrote:
The reply made me feel like I was talking to the wall, not a partner.

Knowing the options now is always better than wishful thinking over a feature with no known date of release.

Understanding the complications behind a feature is just plain healthy for business awareness and as a mindset. 

So if you think someone giving viable alternatives that could help other merchants is somehow "demeaning" to you, or telling you how to run your business then that's entirely on your ego.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes
isaiahk
1 0 3

I am completely blown away that Shopify didn't add this feature from the beginning and am even more confused why they haven't addressed this problem! The Lack of Open/Variable priced products is the only reason I am not going towards a Shopify POS. Love my Shopify Online store and hoped the their POS solution would be equally as functional. Listen to your costumers Shopify!!!!