Open or Variable Price item in POS

ClareCinnabar
Tourist
5 0 11

Come on Shopify! Please update this! We all pay you thousands in commission! Give us the product we need!

Cristi_Yarn
Tourist
4 0 6

I also want this feature!

0 Likes
Max_Sadlowski
Shopify Expert
65 1 31

Hi All, I wanted to post something and see if I can help address this. I am a Shopify Expert and we develop POS apps to help merchants fix difficult issues like this. We know there are multiple work arounds, but when it boils down to it, that isn't good enough and not having the ability to be more flexible here is really difficult for busy merchants. The other option of using custom sales means tracking and inventory get out of place. Many of you use it for selling items in parts, so I get the frustration.

Shopify long ago made a choice to have whole inventory numbers. This might not have been the best decision, but it was a decision made and now it is very deeply ingrained in their systems, APIs and applications. Allowing that number to be a decimal would break a lot of code in a lot of places, and be something most developers would need to account for in their apps. Unfortunately, that means, from my point of view as an app developer (I by no means work for or know Shopify's internal plans) that split quantities in POS or online is simply not going to be coming any time soon.

With that said, I would love to find a solution that helped and made things work better for you. One of my ideas is to use a structure where you can open an app, select the products you want to add to the cart, and be able to enter a decimal number. When you do that, we will add a variant to your Shop at the right price point with the right measurement (say you are selling 1.35 meters of fabric). The quantity of that line item would be 1, but the price would reflect that amount. 

In terms of Inventory, we could also track that in the application and periodically write that back to Shopify correctly in a round down method. So for example, if you had a quantity on hand of 10 meters of fabric and you sold 2.45 meters, we would track that and write the inventory down to 7 in Shopify. If you then sold another 2.45 meters (total of 4.9 meters) we would simply reduce your on and inventory to 5. 

I know this isn't the best solution, but I wanted to see if anyone had thoughts about it and if they feel it would work for them in their store. Obviously opening an app for each transaction would be a task, however we would make sure that you only had to open the app once to complete adding all the partial and regular variants. I look forward to hearing comments and thoughts!

Max Sadlowski - CEO - BentoSMB - Shopify Expert
0 Likes
clbetzler
Tourist
4 0 1

We are too!

0 Likes
maurib12
Tourist
6 0 2

Is Shopify even monitoring this forum?

2/2021

Still nothing from you guys.. Come on!

Msunflower
Tourist
3 0 3

I don’t understand?  This thread isn’t about 1/2 or quarter quantities. No body wants half quantities?  I mean that would be nice .  It’s about variable pricing On the same item. both PayPal and square have open pricing.   For instance I sell wax melts but they go by weight.  So all the wax melts have  different price.  I don’t want to add a custom item each time. And I don’t want to do half quantities. I want to put wax melts in my products with a variable price.  That is all. Means I select wax melts as a product and be able to put the price in.  Even though it’s different each time.  Now I’m looking at going to square because you don’t have an open price point.  

Msunflower
Tourist
3 0 3

But then it shows as a price with it marked out   on the receipt.  It’s not a discount.  We don’t want our customers to think that

0 Likes
policenauts
Trailblazer
185 9 42

Hi all,

Our company has developed an app that solves this issue and I'm happy to share that it was just approved earlier today! You can find it here: https://apps.shopify.com/pos-variable-priced-products-1. If this URL ends up changing, please search for "POS Variable Price Products" in the Shopify App Store.

Here is a short video demonstrating its functionality: https://youtu.be/PGQWpaCf5No?t=83

It also features the ability add tax-exempt line items, adjust inventory, and retain COGS reporting. 

For any merchants who are specifically selling by weight, we also have another app specifically designed for that use case (currently with a 5-star average rating): https://apps.shopify.com/sell-products-by-weight

I'm the founder and developer - if you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to email me directly at hello@filljoy.co.

Best,
Derrick

0 Likes
maurib12
Tourist
6 0 2

This Shopify thing is getting out of control. I understand that developing an app takes time but this kind of functionality should exist natively.  I'm already seeing me paying more on apps than the Shopify Pro subscription  

Anyways ; I have tried installing your app on a test store but it doesn't let me install it. 

policenauts
Trailblazer
185 9 42

@maurib12 I've created an exception for your development store, please try again. 

0 Likes