Opening our first store and could use some guidance on a POS system

HalloweenCostu1
13 0 0

Hello,

I'm opening our first store for this coming Halloween season under our brand www.HalloweenCostumes4u.com and have little experience with POS systems.

I'd like to implement a barcode scanner, receipt printer and cash drawer. I don't currently have a tablet, but I'm open to an iPad, Surface or Android tablet (though iPad is my last choice due to its cost, lack of ports and overall less functionality compared to a Surface).

To start, I just need the function of scanning a product barcode, accepting payment and printing a receipt. I'd also like to have some in-depth reporting functions. In the future I'd like to implement inventory management.

I was interested in Shopify POS until I saw there is a $40/month fee. This is too much to stomach for a brand new store. Is Square a viable alternative and does it play nice with my Shopify store when I'm ready to implement inventory management?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any help and guidance!!

0 Likes
Jeremy_Black1
1 0 0

Well where do i start,

Pro's- they have a pretty easy to navigate entry system for products (if your a clothing store but for everything else you will need to Adapt to there System unless you want to pay a pro to modify the Code.$$$$$$ Cha ching.

Con's- Pretty much everything else. They leave wholes in there code so that you will half to hire a Guru. thats code for $$$$ to shopify. They won't fix the problems with there system/ they want you to patch your way through the problems. such as there POS system. MY Free Apps on my android and apple devices can scan the Barcode of my products With free or low cost POS System, but Shopify just says i will need to forkout 200 to $300 for one of there exclusive Scanners, when a Free api Patch to make my Camera work would do the job and be much Quicker. $$$$

So needless to say I'm looking for another Company. Im stuck Because I paid for a Year and i Just Half to suffer through. 

So if Shopify would like to respond i would love to See if they will ether Fix these issues or Delete my POSTS.

0 Likes
HalloweenCostu1
13 0 0

Thanks for the feedback Jeremy. I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. In my research on the Shopify POS, I didn't find anything that suggested it was a better platform than Square, it's most obvious competitor. I'm going with a Square POS system, as it does NOT charge me $40/month, has pretty much the same processing fees and works with an Android tablet. Even if I just use the system for 3 months for the Halloween season, I'll have saved $120 on Shopify's monthly fee plus $270 on a Galaxy Tab A instead of an iPad that Shopify requires. That additional $390.00 saved just paid for my receipt printer, cash drawer and tablet stand.

I wish you luck with the POS debacle you're in and, if you decide to switch to Square, let me know and I'll send you a referral link so we may both receive FREE processing on $1,000 in purchases.

www.HalloweenCostumes4U.com

0 Likes