POS Australia - what EFTPOS are you using?

emmarast
Tourist
6 0 2

Hello All, 

We are an online baby clothing store & been running a Shopify store successfully for the past few months. We are going to head along to a few local markets to help get our name out locally & wondering what you guys are using for EFTPOS payments with Shopify POS. I am considering either Paypal card reader, or getting a portable card reader form our bank. Has anyone got any feedback on the Paypal units? 

Its a pity the Shopify POS card reader isn't available in Australia yet. 

Thanks 

Emma 

Replies 9 (9)

rpbrooks79
Tourist
3 0 2

We have our website and 2 shops now with Shopify Pos. Currently using Tyro to make the payments but Shopify POS only shows external payment, meaning we have to double up on entering the transactions. When we're busy there's no time to enter twice so there's always transactions missing on Shopify. When will integration with an EFTPOS terminal happen? You have it available in USA, UK and Canada. Why not AUS? Thanks

LibbyMcLean
Tourist
5 0 5

Hi I am using Tyro as well and wondering if you found a way to sync it with your Shopify POS app? We have a busy store that's been closed all through Covid and we re-open next week and I cannot figure out how to link our Tyro Merchant terminal to the app - if we can't link them I am going to have to cancel using Shopify POS and I am freaking out!

Gumnut1
Visitor
2 0 0

Did you work out how to use Tyro with Shopify POS?

LibbyMcLean
Tourist
5 0 5

A couple of years down the track and Shopify POS still only offers their own integration to a Wise Pad.

It’s super old PayPalHere technology that is not at all suited to Australia as lots of people

still use Eftpos cards here (without a chip) and these readers won’t accept them. 2 years since we transitioned to Shopify POS and we are still double handling EVERY transaction by having to enter the sales amount manually on an external Tyro terminal - it’s bullshit that a company the size of Shopify in a market as big as Australia can’t support us with adding an option to integrate our external terminals rather than making us manual handle. 

SPB
Shopify Partner
5 0 2

FYI I have been told by Shopify that shopify payments Eftpos support in Australia is currently being beta tested and expected some time in Q1 2023. A larger concern here might be the difference in fees when comparing Tyro to Shopify Payments. As I understand it, Tyro appears to be much cheaper, on the surface at least. 

NourishHH
Visitor
1 0 0

Has there been any update on this? I am about to open a physical store in March and do not want to have to bring in another type of eftpos terminal to support the EFT cards.

NickyJ1
Tourist
4 0 0

Hi there I'm unsure if you've seen but they've implemented eftpos on the wisepad 3

Flexatee
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Nicky, do you use the WisePad3?  I am thinking of getting one.  Does it accept all cards and wallets - tap card or device, or insert a card?  I’ve downloaded the Shopify POS app.  Did it sync to your inventory easily on your Shopify site. Thanks in advance. Such a pity Shopify don’t support using our iphone as a POS device like they do in the USA. 

NickyJ1
Tourist
4 0 0

Hi Flexatee, yes we’ve been using the wide pad 3 for a couple months now.

It accepts most cards and mobile tap payment - you can tap or insert. For cards that don’t have tap or insert (some international cards) you can manually type the details into shopify pos [we’ve only had to do this a couple times, depends on your customer base how inconvenient this would be but most likely won’t be an issue]

one thing to note - it does not accept Afterpay cards. To get around this, we’ve been sending a cart to the customers email and asking them to checkout online on their phone via in store pickup [this ‘send cart’ feature is inbuilt into shopify pos]. This isn’t ideal but we think the benefits of the wisepad outweigh this for now.

shopify pos syncs perfectly with the shopify backend, it’s all automatic and we haven’t noticed any delay with syncing. 

other than that I can just let you know the wisepad 3 works really well with shopify pos, I really like the design of the unit and the syncing between the pos is pretty snappy and feels good. It’s the only way to get automatic payment with shopify pos (as in you don’t have to type an amount into the unit, when you checkout on pos the amount is automatically displayed on the wisepad) this isn’t possible with any other terminal right now. 

let me know if you have any questions, more than happy to answer