POS CC Reader (Non Shopify-Payments)

Highlighted
10 0 0

Let me clarify. If you use Authorize.net in the USA, you cannot process ANY credit/debit cards directly within the Shopify POS. Having to use an external credit card processor is redundant. I should be able to use the card readers we purchased from Shopify to complete a transaction. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
10 0 0

Unfortunately your reply does not seem to be accurate either. The POS does NOT give me the option to pay via an external reader. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
407 35 86

Thanks for following up, Casey. 

Testing out the order process on the Shopify POS app here on my end, I can see that "External terminal" is a payment option alongside the other payment types I've enabled, like "Cash" and "Gift card". Here's what that looks like on my end: 

20-05-vltuy-dmfa7

Once you select "External Terminal", you'll then be presented with an option for "External debit", as well as Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover. The payment option you select here will then be recorded in your sales and payment reports, and will also reflect in the order details page. Here's what that looks like:

20-05-8e1tb-mymjr

Based on the fact that you are not seeing an option to pay via an external reader, it sounds like you may not have the External terminal option enabled in your POS settings. We can confirm if this is the case by heading to Store > Payment types > External terminal. From there, you'll want to ensure that "Enable external terminal" is toggled on. Let me know if you're not seeing that option there!

That being said, I do appreciate your frustration about Authorize.net not being a compatible gateway with Shopify's card readers, and I'd be happy to pass this feedback along to our Retail team. I do hope that we can integrate with other payment types in the near future. 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like