POS CC Reader (Non Shopify-Payments)

Highlighted
7 0 0

If and when we integrate authorize.net into our shopify system we can manually input credit cards and then they would show the card details with the order. Why is shopify blocking external card readers from doing the same thing it is obvious your system already has the capabilities to link the two. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi!

We are evaluating Shopify POS Pro as a solution for a US client and they may desire using authorize.net to accept credit card payments. What are the current processors that can be used via authorize.net? Also, is there hardware that can accept the external payment that is available in the US? Lastly, I didn’t see external payment options on the POS Pro demo, is it still available?

If all of these thing align, are there charges from Shopify to use authorize.net?

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0
Based off my experience there are charges from Shopify to use authorize.net.
The percent they tack onto sales vary depending on the account you pay for
monthly with them. They currently have 3 different plans.
0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Thanks David,

Can authorize.net be an integrated processor on the new POS with the hardware and when credit card is used at the payment type in UI? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0
I don't think so that is my complaint with shopify right now.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
692 51 155

Hi, @ScaleNorthJoe!

Thanks for joining in on the conversation. As mentioned here

While it is possible to use Authorize.net with Shopify POS, you will need to ensure that you are using a card reader that's compatible with this particular gateway. Currently, the only card readers compatible with Authorize.net include: 

If you are using Authorize.net, then you will need to source a card reader directly from them and enable External Terminal as a payment option in the POS app. Once that's done, you can then select External terminal as a payment method when processing a transaction. 

This applies to all Shopify POS plans. You can use any card reader that you like and you'll still be able to select "External terminal" as a payment option through the POS app. As mentioned in my previous reply, the "External terminal" option first needs to be enabled in your POS settings, under Payment types. It's likely that this payment type was not enabled as you were demoing the POS Pro, but you can see that this is an available option from the POS Pro features page here.

Because the External terminal payment type indicates that the payment was accepted using a device external to Shopify, it really doesn't matter which hardware you use, as long as it is capable of integrating with your payment gateway (in this case, Authorize.net). While I'm not sure if Authorize.net allows you to use external card readers, they do have their own card readers you can purchase here. Again, these will work perfectly fine with the Shopify POS Pro app using the External terminal payment type. 

Lastly, there won't be any transaction fees or other charges from Shopify if you decide to use a third-party gateway for in-person POS transactions. If online payments are processed using Authorize.net, however, then transaction fees will apply and these vary based on the plan you are on. 

Has your client considered using Shopify Payments instead? Where are they located and what kind of products are they selling?

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

But will it send the payment automatically do the external card reader or do i have to manually i put the transaction amount on the card reader?

i have Authorize.Net on shopify pos and i just tried to do a transaction and its asking me to manually enter the credit card.

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Thanks Julie, 

A few questions, I'm getting conflicting information from Support (Excerpt from Chat):

Me: With Shopify's new POS, can authorize.net still be an integrated payment processor?

Me: I continue to read about third party credit card processor functionality being transitioned to External Terminal payment types and no longer integrated but that seems like a step back in functionality so I'm confused

Shopify: To answer your question about Authorize.net, yes it is still an integrated processor for Shopify POS.Even with the new POS

Me: To confirm, we don't have to use external payment functionality in the new POS to use authorize.net. Credit card can be taken at POS hardware and the credit card transaction will be processed in Shopify?

Shopify: That is a YEs on the POS question and authorize.net. However for the New Shopify POS, there will be a fee after october 31,2020.

Can I input the authorize.net credentials into the settings for the new POS and process credit card transactions using Shopify's credit card reader, have the credit info populate in the POS UI and run reports with the transactions out of Shopify? 

My client is in the US and the hardware list seems to only have options in Canada, there aren't any credit card readers in the US that can support authorize.net and Shopify POS? 

I have vetted their industry and they do qualify for shopify payments; however, they have strong existing relationship with their current processor so we'd like to provide them all options available for consideration. 

In advance, thanks for your help Julie. These are critical decision points for my high volume client and your assistance is much appreciated. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

I have the same issue and spent over an hour talking to support.

They kept telling me to set up a custom payment method. So I did and named it external, but it just gives the option to mark the order as paid.

This is using the NEW POS system and not the old one. Every single response here has been referencing the older version. If I wanted to use that, I would, but I don't. I want to use the new version nd I want it to work and nobody can give me any information on how to make that happen. 

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
692 51 155

Thanks for the quick followup, @ScaleNorthJoe.

I'm sorry to hear that you've been given conflicting information. I should clarify that we haven't transitioned away from third-party credit card processing with the POS. The only Shopify card readers that were ever compatible with Authorize.net were exclusively for Canadian merchants and this hasn't changed (aside from the fact that one of those card readers has been discontinued, which shouldn't affect your client as they are in the US).

If you head on over to our Hardware Store, you’ll be able to browse all of our card readers available to your client in the US. Doing so, you’ll also be able to see which gateway each card reader can integrate with. There, you’ll notice that the card readers are only compatible with Shopify Payments. This means that in order to use Authorize.net, your client needs to purchase a card reader directly from them.

When using Authorize.net with Shopify POS, all of your orders and sales reports in Shopify will still be accurate; the only difference is that you’re selecting “External terminal” as a payment option, then using Authorize.net’s card reader to actually accept the payment. If you have the new POS app, then the process is slightly different and instead requires you to set up a custom payment method that you can then label "External".

That being said, I strongly recommend that your client uses Shopify Payments to ensure a smoother POS experience. With Shopify Payments, you can use any of our in-house card readers and our Retail team will be able to fully support any potential issues that may arise. If your client also plans on accepting payments through their online store, then they won't be subject to any transaction fees that would typically apply if they were to use a third-party gateway like Authorize.net.

Ultimately, if your client is already approved to use Shopify Payments, then I would strongly suggest having them consider making the switch, as this would not only allow them to use one of our own card readers, but it would also save them a considerable amount when it comes to transaction fees on online purchases. 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes