POS CC Reader (Non Shopify-Payments)

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
692 51 155

Hey, @JessBarfield!

Welcome to the conversation.

That's right. When setting up a custom payment method using the new Shopify POS, you will need to mark the order as paid once you've processed the transaction using an external card reader. This will tell Shopify that the order was processed using that particular payment method. 

Have you tried marking the order as paid yet? When you do so, you should see it in your sales reports and it should reflect that the order was processed using the custom payment method you created. 

I hope this clears things up! 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
25 0 2

This is the most hated thing with Shopify and Shopify POS. Which, I will say, does accurately describe the product

Shopify, being so liberal it's sickening, won't allow us to use Shopify Payments because we sell...... HUNTING KNIVES..... so scary. 

Then, on top of that, we were entirely misled, which it seems I wasn't the only one, into believing we could use Authorize.net with the POS. 

SIMPLE ANSWER IS NO YOU CAN NOT...... Authorize.net is NOT compatible with the POS.  To say it is compatible is like saying you can get McDonald's McNuggets with Burger King BBQ sauce.

By simply hitting a button for external payment, you could swipe the card in your armpit and the POS would accept the "external payment"

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
25 0 2

Well, that is Shopify's MO here lately. Bad support, no direction. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
25 0 2

@ScaleNorthJoe Its a monopoly. They CAN allow authorize.net to be used with their readers. They CHOOSE not to to force you into their "Shopify Payments"

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0
Your rates are so high it's difficult to justify using Shopify Payments.
You charge the same rates even when a debit card is used and that's
ridiculous. Most companies charge $0.30 plus maybe a small percent per
transaction. On a large transaction that is no where near 2.6% what Shopify
is charging.
0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0
I mark orders as paid, but it becomes an issue with returns. There is
nothing noting the card used, brand, last four digits, anything. It defeats
the concept of having the POS do it all.
0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0
Absolutely. I agree. Which is so obvious by the fact that you can manually
enter a credit card and it would show all the details. Adding a card reader
is just a smoother and safer way than inputting a cc number. Shame on
them!!!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
11 0 4

In the exact same position as you. I sell wine, and since it's an "age restricted product" we cant use shopify pay. I refuse to use their external processing solution, because it looks SO unprofessional, and I am looking to integrate and streamline my systems, not add weird appendages that don't talk to one another!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
11 0 4

Can we get more Shopify employees in here please? I am unable to use shopify Pay since I sell alcohol. I am FINE using an external payment method/terminal, but I am not OK with having there be no communication to it. Is there any way to have shopify POS send the price total data to the external card reader, and then have the card reader send info back to shopify POS that the order has been paid for? I'm on shopify Plus, can we make a Flow that will do this somehow? Can we use the POS API to do it? How about hacking the shopify tap&chip reader? Please respond ASAP!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
692 51 155

Hey, everyone!

First off, I really appreciate everyone's feedback here. While there are some workarounds previously mentioned in this thread, I can understand the need to have Authorize.net integrated with all of Shopify's card readers and I have shared this feedback with our developers. 

I also appreciate you joining the conversation, @ayrity and it's great to hear that you've recently made the move the Shopify Plus. Because you've recently upgraded to Plus, you should have been assigned a dedicated Launch Manager and/or Solutions Engineer. Is this something you have discussed with them? If not, I recommend reaching out to the Plus Support team directly so they can explore some options with you. Our Plus team is here to help you work through this and identify a solution that works best for your own business. 

Thank you again for all of your feedback. 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution