POS CC Reader (Non Shopify-Payments)

GLIMMER
Tourist
5 0 3

@Julie You have been very helpful in responding to all these questions, but please help us all to see this through.

What needs to take place so that Authorize.net can be certified for partial-integration with Shopify POS for the US?

Will Shopify only allow integrated card swipe if retailers use Shopify Payments?  That seems very restrictive when many

of our retail clients have existing processing/banking relationships that want to keep in place.

Can you please see if there is a path to fully certifying with Authorize.net or another gateway?

Michael

0 Likes
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1103 105 276

Hi, @chobza94!

Thanks for joining in on the conversation. To clarify, third-party card readers, including those from Authorize.net, cannot be directly synced with Shopify POS. As mentioned here

It is possible to use Authorize.net with Shopify POS, however, you will need to ensure that you are using a card reader that's compatible with this particular gateway. Currently, the only Shopify card readers compatible with Authorize.net include: 

However, you can still use your Authorize.net card reader to process transactions while using Shopify POS at the same time. You'll just need to enable a custom payment method in the Shopify POS app for that particular card reader. Once that's done, you'll be able to select that payment method when processing in-person transactions. This will tell Shopify that the payment was accepted through a third-party device and Shopify will record the transaction as such. 

I hope this clears things up! 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
GLIMMER
Tourist
5 0 3

Hi @Julie,

That really does not help because it becomes a manual double entry process. If it’s available in Canada with authorize.net, why can’t they also make it available in the United States. There is so much business I can bring to Shopify, larger accounts, If they allowed integration with other processors besides Shopify Payments aka Stripe.

Can you talk to your development team, and see if they are open to allowing this? The system is far too limited And really only works for small mom and pops that I don’t have existing processing/banking relationships.

Michael

0 Likes
Casey_Samson
Excursionist
33 0 6
Ha! I am not surprised this is the response from Shopify!

Good luck! I have been on this for a year. Such a simple thing. They do not care how many clients you could “bring”. It’s not happening. Mark my words, Shopify has zero intention or interest in allowing POS users to use authorize.net

0 Likes
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1103 105 276

Hi, @GLIMMER

I'm glad to know that you've found this thread helpful and I appreciate your feedback.

I completely understand how useful it would be for merchants in the US to have a direct integration between Shopify's card readers and Authorize.net. At the general support level, however, I do not have any insight into how this can be implemented, nor do I have access to any information on if or when this will be supported. 

That being said, what I can do is submit your feedback to our developers; the more feedback we get, the better. As previously mentioned, we have a system in place for submitting feature requests, so I'll make sure this gets added to the list. Hopefully, we can work with Authorize.net to make our card readers compatible with their gateway sometime in the near future. 

In the meantime, please keep an eye out on our changelog for future platform updates.

Thanks again!

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
chobza94
2 0 0
Can the audio jack and lightning swipers still work in the US if I got one?
0 Likes
Casey_Samson
Excursionist
33 0 6
Yes, but only if you are using your own stand. Not the Shopify stand.
davidcastorio
8 0 0
What do you mean by own stand?
0 Likes
tatsuya_s
Tourist
3 0 2

Hi @Julie 

I have a question about payment process for Shopify POS with Authrize.net.

Already, I have posted same question in another thread (here) and post here again.

Hi there,

We are planning to use Shopify POS with Authorize.net as third-party gateway.

Question:

If we setup the POS with iPad, certified Tap & Chip Reader and Authorize.net.

How does a store staff operate the POS screen like below?

IMG_919A64EF8257-1 (1).jpeg

- "Credit card" section (red circle) will activate?

- And Tap & Chip Reader will activate when "Credit card" section is clicked by store staff and the total amount has been set automatically?

- The customer insert or tap their credit card, then payment process will start and complete automatically? 

- The POS screen will show "The Order as Paid"?

I just want to know that when we select Authorize.net as gateway, the POS can provide us the same experience as with Shopify Payment.

Best regards,

0 Likes
Casey_Samson
Excursionist
33 0 6

@tatsuya_s  Hi there!

I am not @Julie  But can answer this. 

If you are using Authorize.net, you CANNOT use the Tap & Chip Reader. It is impossible. You can manually enter the CC information on the screen, but Shopify is stingy and will not allow Authorize.net to connect to their card readers. 

If you are using Authorize.net as your payment provider, it really hinders the Shopify POS.

Simply put, you CANNOT run credit cards with the POS unless you MANUALLY type in the info, if you are using a 3rd party payment provider. 

Shopify knows this, and has known for a long time, and refuses to make this simple change.