POS Classic Retires November 1st. All New POS lite vs POS Pro ~ Opinions?

Highlighted
Explorer
52 0 28

I gave the New POS a try when they released it a little while ago, and we decided it wasn't for us.  

Well, now we don't have a choice.  I've read over PRO and I don't see anything there that would warrant a subscription.  So now we have to find all the work-arounds in Lite. 

I posted previously some of my problems with the new POS, and never heard anything. So I'm curious if those have been rectified. I'll be digging into it over the next few weeks. 

I am curious how other retailers are planning for the transition. 

Thoughts?

Highlighted
Excursionist
12 1 3

It is very much in beta. Tipping was only added a couple weeks ago. We have constant connectivity problems with the chip and pin reader. It lets my guys draw down stock when the inventory reads 0 (big headaches when we do shipping, delivery, and retail). 

Not impressed, likely to switch next week. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Matt,

Where did you read that Classic was retiring on 11/1?  We are on Pro and are having a lot of connectivity issues with the barcode scanner and card reader.   So naturally we are thinking of switching back to classic.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
52 0 28

We got an email from Shopify.  Here's a little snipit. 

"Subject: Important news about your POS

The all-new Shopify POS will replace POS Classic starting November 1

Make the switch now to get familiar with new features, and ensure you and your staff are ready to take on the holiday rush with the all-new POS."

We have connectivity issues with hardware all the time even on classic. Mostly the receipt printer.  Closing an re launching the app works for us.   

I'm trying to get a straight story about the POS Lite version. They keep wanting us to test pro, but I don't know if we need the functionality or not. 

Highlighted
2 0 3

We also are not happy with being forced to upgrade to the new POS pro.    If we stay with POS Lite, we are actually losing features (ie: save cart), that we had in POS classic.   I paid my subscription for a two year term in May 2020, and now they are taking features away.  Definitely not acceptable.     

I do not see much advantage for us in this new POS pro at this time.   It is not worth the $90/month extra.     We have some issue with connectivity as well with the Semi-integreated Moneris terminal and Shopify.   And no one wants to take responsibility for the problems I have (Moneris tells me to talk with Shopify and Shopify tells me it's a Moneris problem).

I'm afraid the new POS is going to have a whole new set of problems. 

Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 4

My biggest issue with the new POS is how long it takes to check someone out.  I updated and promptly had to roll it back. New feature set is great if you are only processing a few items at a time. An average checkout for me is 15+ items. It would be nice if you could just start scanning bar codes without having to hit the scanner button on the screen each time. Also, after scanning the unique UPC code, you still have to manually select the item after it pops up on screen. This adds to the check out time for each individual.

Highlighted
Explorer
99 0 20

I just tried the Pro yesterday as I have a popup event next weekend that I'm preparing for.  (My shop is online only except for occasional popups, so I don't use the POS very often.)  I don't need many features and yet I was still less than impressed.  Pro is not worth it for me.  How do you get the Lite version?  I looked in the Apple App store and there's only one Shopify POS app in there.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
725 24 240

Hey!

Aria here, I'm on the Social Care team at Shopify.

I'm sorry to hear you're unhappy with the new POS. I'd love to pass on your detailed feedback to our developers on your behalf. If any of you would like me to do this, please provide me with your store URL.

If you are still having connectivity issues, please let me know. I can escalate to our technical team for investigation. If that's the case, please confirm if the email address you use to log into forums is the same as the one you use to log into your account. I can then reach out by email to get more details from you. To protect the security of your account, please never provide your store email address or any ticket numbers publicly on forums.

For anyone reading who is wondering about the difference between POS Pro and POS Lite, this guide covers it. POS Lite is included with all Shopify plans and is best suited to people who sell alone at markets or pop-up shops. POS Pro is free until October 31 then is $89 USD per month per location, on top of your Shopify plan. POS Pro is best suited to professional brick and mortar retailers and includes features such as unlimited staff register logins, unlimited registers, advanced reporting, omnichannel options and we'll shortly be introducing a dedicated retail support team exclusive to POS Plus.

@Matt37: Can you please tell me more about the workarounds you need to do with POS Lite that you didn't have to with POS Classic?

@IGotNothin: Can you please clarify what you mean by, It lets my guys draw down stock when the inventory reads 0 (big headaches when we do shipping, delivery, and retail).? Are you still experiencing connectivity issues?

@Matthew_Crowell: If you want to provide your store URL, I will send feedback for you regarding the time it is taking to check out.

@Sharon15: The same app works for both POS Lite and POS Pro. This guide explains how to upgrade to POS Pro/downgrade to POS Lite.

I'll look out for your responses. Please let me know how you're getting on.

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
725 24 240

@offermagl: Are you still having connectivity issues?

@Petere1: What other features on POS Classic did you make use of that are now missing on Lite? I can certainly send your feedback about pre-paying for the biannual plan if you want to provide your store URL. Are you still having connectivity issues with Moneris?

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 4
Hi Aria,
All my issues have been taken care of at this time.
0 Likes