POS Classic Retires November 1st. All New POS lite vs POS Pro ~ Opinions?

Highlighted
2 0 0

@Aria Yes, still having connectivity issues.  The biggest problem is the the credit card readers.  Its become quite a pain to manage with our sales staff.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 3

We actually had to get rid of the Semi-Integrated Moneris machine.   We had major connectivity issues.   Shopify also made it very restrictive on exchanges and refunds.   You could only refund an item to the Semi-Integrated Moneris Terminal if that is how it was purchased.  But if someone came in to refund an item that was purchased on the Semi-Intergrated Moneris terminal - and the terminal was down (which happened quite often), then we were stuck.   I know you can refund to a gift card - but usually the customer just wants the refund.   This is why we always have a external Moneris terminal (and now we have two - one for each Ipad cash register).       

Another feature that is missing now in the new Shopify POS is a summary of payments received during a session.   In the classic POS, you could check throughout the day if your totals were balanced (ie: External Visa, MC and DC, Cash, Account Receivable, Cheques, etc..).   Now in the new Shopify POS, you only see the Cash sales.   You don't see the External Payments until the end of the day - after you close the session.

We also cannot exchange an item twice.  Are we the only ones who have customers exchange items more than once?

Peter

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
721 24 239

@Matthew_Crowell That's good to hear! Thank you for letting me know. 

@offermagl Thank you for confirming. I sent you an email, please check your inbox. 

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
721 24 239

Hey, @Petere1!

The new POS is actually known to be incompatible with the semi-integrated Moneris. Which device are you using?

I can send the other feedback for you. Which plan are you on? POS Lite or POS Pro? What is your store URL?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
52 0 28

@Petere1 To answer your last question: 

We have a customer return items more than once. We sell custom rugs and furniture and we charge for samples, then refund the money when returned. We find it's best to avoid the whole exchange thing, and just refund the first and charge for the second.  But I have had customers go through 2-3 (5-6) rounds of purchases and refunds before the final purchase.  And we have had no problems with refunds.  We are also 98% credit cards, so we just put the refund back on their original card.  

Tech details: we use POS Pro, and have the tap chip reader from shopify. And we are running on an IPAD pro from a few years ago. 

We also have standard refunds of course, (piece doesn't fit, wrong color, wife hated it, etc) but they are usually 1 time only things.  I hope that helps. 

Highlighted
Excursionist
13 0 10

The new POS Pro wasnt better than the classic when it was free.  Tried and and switched right back.  Now they are forcing us to pay $90 in order to get every day basic features.  I am pissed and no one at shopify cares.  "we value your feedback" but they value stealing $90 a month for as many customers as possible more.  Really reallly disappointed in a company I used to rave about and recommend. 

Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 5

I completely agree...really crappy of Shopify to do this...

Highlighted
Excursionist
13 0 10

Read this B.S. I just got from customer service:

----------

For many years, Shopify has offered a Point of Sale (POS) app to merchants who are looking to enable their brick and mortar store or casual selling activities (like pop-ups and events) with Shopify’s selling capabilities.

But, as Shopify grows, so do the needs of our existing merchants. In addition to those who already sell in person with Shopify POS, there are thousands of other merchants who haven’t been able to make the switch because our current POS system doesn’t offer the more robust retail features they need. The all-new Shopify POS is designed to help mitigate common frustrations for our merchants and their staff.

---------

HAHAHA.  Serious question here.  What am I missing. How is the new POS "more robust" other than its $1080 annual price?  Did any of you actually have a problem with the old POS? I get that in-store pickup might be a help now, but that clearly is just something they threw on because of COVID. I am sure this trash was getting developed way before COVID. 

So for real.  If you like this one better and its worth $1080 a year to you please tell me why.

Highlighted
1 0 0

I have tried time and time to reach support for answers on this and maybe I'm just missing something, but here it goes.. Now that my moneris terminal is no longer compatible I purchased the shopify tap and chip reader. Im a brick and mortar shop in Canada and we are not able to use interact chip and it seems the max for interact tap transactions are under $100. We had a guy come in today that had to leave and get cash IN CRUTCHES because he only had a debit card and didn't do E transfers... How am I supposed to run a business like this, its embarrassing. Ive only been a shopify customer for a year and a Half and we chose it for the simplicity and quick response from support chat when needed. I can't even connect with someone to tell me what to do with my moneris terminal now that I can't use it. Can anyone help me, or has anyone had the same issue? Please HELP .... SO Frustrated!!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
721 24 239

Hey, @Coveph!

It looks like you have reached out to our support already but I have emailed you just in case you need me to send a feature request. Please check your inbox. 

0 Likes