POS Classic Retires November 1st. All New POS lite vs POS Pro ~ Opinions?

Tourist
12 0 2

Is there some way I can get in contact with you to ask about a few issues I'm having?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
768 25 257

Absolutely, @Bonnie29!

You can contact us using our online chat here. Alternatively, you can reach out to us on Facebook Messenger or Twitter DM and we can help you there. 

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
1 0 1

I have been using the new Shopify POS and so far I have been VERY displeased with it. I found the original very user friendly. We have been forced to switch over this month which is crazy that Shopify have made that a mandatory switch at the beginning of the busiest Retail time of year... makes me wonder if they have any clue of running a retail store as this is not an ideal time to learn a new system? I do understand there was lead time to this but to make it mandatory switch at that time is ludicrous. Learning a new system that time of year? That should have been done after the holiday season. As a business owner and being in retail for the past 30 years the last thing I need to be worried about is learning a new system and teaching my staff at such a high stress time of year. Here are some of mine concerns with the new system that I hope is taken into consideration. 

Having the split screen on the old POS was very useful, being able to see at all times what was going on in your customers cart was really nice. Every click now brings you to a entirely new page and makes it very fumbly navigating with different windows/pages on every click. Adding products on the old POS you were able to click multiple items and qty's with you going into different pages or parts of the POS. Not being able to save customers carts if they wanted to continue shopping and come back, you now have to start over which again makes longer line ups and not as user friendly. 

Exchanges form what I can tell you are not able to make exchanges anymore? You have to do a refund or add it to a give card then make a new sale then use the gift card towards what the exchanged product. This is double the work needed. The old POS you were able to make an exchange and add new items all in the same transaction was slick and nice. 

Customers - Merging customers would be nice. I have found many duplicate customers due to having minor spelling mistakes in the same customer. You are not able to delete customers (which I understand isnt necessarily a good feature) but if it had a history logged with everything done form a Owner or managerial standpoint that would be ok. You are not able to add customers that share the same phone number (land line) or email. Frustrating. So families that live together only one of them will be able to have a phone number attached to their name. 

GIFT Cards - I love the idea of of not having the plastic gift cards and Shopify has that option which is great! Unfortunately though 99.9% of gift cards are purchased for other people and not having the ability to go back and reprint the gift card purchased we find very difficult control. It is nice there is a digital copy but it goes to the purchaser not the customer receiving the gift card. The flimsy receipt paper does not last long in a wallet so once destroyed we are not able to look it up and use again. I understand the safety from internal use or theft but again if there was a history of what was used or done then it would be easy to by pass these security measures. Simply having that option would solve this issue. 

Split Payments feature is complicated. The old way was slick and simple. Again you seem to jump to page to page to use all these features where before it was all done on one page. 

We have done lots of research over the years to find a POS system that can have a solid foundation for both Retail & E-commerce. Shopify E-commerce we find to be pretty slick and works well very pleased with that side of Shopify. The retail is lacking in many very simple basic needs of a retail store. These concerns above are very basic needs of a retail store and I have always found Shopify to really lack in this department. Sometimes I questions if anyone who is developing these features ever worked in a retail store before? I do understand Shopify was built to developed for making Online stores simple and function and I would agree that part of Shopify is fantastic but the retails side I find it lacks. I feel the NEW POS you have made it way more complicated not as user friendly and taken away features. Not things my team have been excited about.  We have bee using it for over a month now so I have giving it grace to allow time for the changes to set in and learn new habits of the new system but I still feel the old system was better. 

Excursionist
38 0 23

You are 100% correct.  Unfortunately Shopify does not care at all what we, their customers, think. Getting an extra $90 a month from you is their top priority. 

0 Likes
Excursionist
38 0 23

@Aria Why cant we just have access to Classic POS back?  This new one is so bad.  Seriously has anyone said they like the layout better? 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
768 25 257

Hey, @Brad_Gadd!

Thank you for providing your feedback on the new POS features. As always, I am happy to pass on this feedback to our developers but I require your store URL in order to do this. 

@Rivertowninkery, yes, we've had a lot of great feedback from people who are happy with the new features but that does not mean we won't pass on negative feedback from everyone who is willing to provide their store URL. Feedback from merchants is the foundation for how we build our platform going forward. 

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes