Where's the best place to make requests for features on Shopify POS? We've just migrated over from Lightspeed Onsite and there are a number of essential features I wrongly assumed would be available on Shopify POS that aren't.
Thanks for the quick response!
Unfortunately, we’re finding a lot of very basic features that we’ve been accustomed to with Lightspeed Onsite missing from Shopify POS. I understand that it’s in its infancy (maybe some of these features are already available but we haven’t found them yet?)
1. Stock reservations - When a customer orders something that isn’t in stock, Lightspeed adds that specific item to a list under the relevant supplier for our next purchase order. When the item arrives into stock, that particular customers’ order is marked as ready to ship/invoice and the order is fulfilled. I understand Stocky is in the process of being a staple part of the Shopify platform, maybe this will be resolved when this happens?
2. Customer reservations - We get customers wanting to reserve an item in stock and pay for it in instalments over a number of weeks/months (Christmas/Birthday presents etc). With Lightspeed, we’re able to create an order for this customer which will reserve the item and allow us to add as many payments as needed until the balance is cleared. The item is deducted from the available stock list and so isn’t shown on the website, POS or any other channel for sale. This is a very common transactional process for ourselves and I imagine many other smaller local shops like us.
3. In relation to the above, there is nothing to differentiate an order from an invoice. If a customer orders an item that isn’t in stock, we wouldn’t mark that item as “invoiced” as we haven’t been able to fulfil the order. Currently, Shopify will mark a sale as an order regardless of whether it has been fulfilled or not. This can be confusing on many levels, not least for customers needing information to register products for warranty etc. This also makes things tricky for tax returns, I usually declare sales when the final payment has been made and the product has left the shop.
There are some other smaller features (margin calculator for example) that we would like to see, but the above are the most disruptive missing elements to our workflow, especially coming up to Christmas where things are usually intensified.
The Web side of Shopify is far better than anything else we’ve demo’d/used. The POS side is letting us down at the moment, i’m sure i’m not the only customer who is needing such features?
Hey there! Sean from Shopventory here. We're a Shopify app. Here's our listing.
Good questions here. I'm not sure how all of the built in tools work in Shopify, but I do know that we have some features that can help fill in the gaps. Here's what I'm thinking:
1. Stock Reservations - Shopventory does not have a great solution to help out here but it is great for us to consider. Thank you for providing the detail so we can discuss as a team.
2. Customer Reservations - We can definitely help out here. We have an invoicing module where you can mark an item as "fulfilled", but not paid yet. You can log multiple payments over whatever timeframe you'd like to. Here's a help article on that.
3. I think I may have answered this question above... It sounds like what you're hoping to accomplish is to have the customer pay you for a product that may not be in stock yet. You don't want to deduct it from inventory, but you do want to post a payment to it. Am I correct?
4. Profit margin calculator - This wasn't a specific question you asked, but we do have a pricing calculator in our system. Here's a help doc on that too.
Hope this is helpful! We have a bunch of other tools that I think you may like to test out. Do you think I should have someone on my team reach out to chat over the phone (we have great customer support)? You can also feel free to email me directly at email@example.com
There really should be a place for retail vendors to list our suggestions, rather than it being a call to retail support and them claiming they will pass it on for consideration. A lot gets lost in translation as I see after I get the follow up emails from the reps. It would be nice to have a suggestions board. Maybe there is one and I am not aware of it, as I search desperately for some helpfiles for Stocky (which don't exist yet, but I hope are in the works).
For the new Android POS phone app the "View Details" part of the button take up half the real estate available and if your right handed is way to easy to hit and just slows things up. Remove it. Also those of us who don't track inventory have no reason to see "Not tracked" on every POS button, at least give an option to remove this.
• Ability to for simple manual returns at retail POS when a customer does not have any type receipt or who purchased it. Just like custom sales only reverse. Return, Select item, How to credit customer, Cash or gift card. This is so that the gift giver isn’t notified that that there gift was returned.
• Multiple Returns: Ability to do as many returns or exchanges on the sale as the merchant wants. Not just ONE
• How about a TAP & CHIP reader that is not bluetooth for mobile. Or just works. In 12 months we've had 6. Constantly looses connection. Can't make a sale when you can't take a card! Purchased a second system to use the swipe reader, because it cost more to manually enter the card. Employee time as well. They fall asleep. Hardwired for retail brick and mortar stores.
• Vendor list under products. Basic info account #, Phone, Rep, Address, email...... It's already there under PO. Just can't access it!
• Ability to put an entire collection on sale at one time. Or add the sale price to the initial product listing and be able to activate sale price by collection.
• Print pick ticket with sku#
• A (note) field on the product page so owners can make a note on something specific about the product they sell. i.e. where it is stored, shelf, or manufactures true name etc.
• Sell an online gift card and have the gift card go to the recipient with a note field attached on why they're getting the gift card.
• Ability to capture credit card sales when internet/power is down. Square and Clover have this ability.
• On the Home page in the admin, Post what shopify is working on. Updates to system, iPad etc. COMMUNICATION!!!!!!!!
• If Shopify is going to have a purchase order page, How about when inventory is received it is added to inventory. Currently it just receives it. That I know, because I have a packing slip.
• How about a preference page, so products could be sorted always the way the owners sees fit. Or current price, or SKU. Most times we know the vendor and type of product.
• Ability to have the sort order on products be random. Not just Best seller, price, alphabetically. Better yet Best sellers with every third or so item randomly imputed. Keeps things interesting
• Stop with the apps. These only allow fingers to point back and forth, And we the merchant are left with no answer. If apps are approved by Shopify, they should be responsible for them.