POS = Piece of [fill in the blank]

Paul_Burton1
Tourist
5 0 11

Please forgive my irritation. But I'm really really irritated. Ten hours before the official launch of my company at the biggest convention in the Pacific Northwest and I am regretting choosing Shopify's POS over Square. Really regretting my decision. 

After dealing with a very helpful Shopify tech (and I'm not being facetious - he was very helpful) who, as it turns out, experienced the same issue I was having when he tested the POS on his iPhone ... 

The baffling, unanticipated issue: Shopfiy POS on iPhone DOES NOT allow dollar-based discounts, only percentage discounts. Whereas Shopify POS on iPad gives the option to select either a dollar or percentage-based discount. So the lovely Shopify POS help instructions that show the dollar/percentage diaologue ... only applies to iPads. What bloody sense does this make?

To make matters worse, the iPad I own doesn't recognize the bloody card reader. Which renders dollar-based discounts moot. 

What this means is that the promotion I've already advertised for a specific dollar discount per order is worthless. Which means that I either have to mark every item down the specific dollar amount or charge a percentage-based discount ... which, either way, means I will be losing money on each sale. 

NOT. HAPPY. NOT. HAPPY. AT. ALL.

0 Likes
Carson2
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
68 0 3

Hi Paul,

On your iPad, please verify that you have audiojack card readers enabled in the app's Settings section. If you're having trouble, don't ever hesitate to get in touch with our 24/7 support staff.

Shopify POS, like all of the products at Shopify, is software evolving over time. We'll be including more features to Shopify POS on iPhone over time—including other forms of discounting capabilities. We opted to release the app as soon as possible, rather than delay until we had built every feature we wanted to include.

Product Manager at Shopify
0 Likes
Paul_Burton1
Tourist
5 0 11

Yes,  the "use shopify payments" dongle is turned on for the iPad. Doesn't read the device. 

0 Likes