POS Pro - $89 a Month?

Highlighted
Excursionist
13 0 9

Having used other POS's I have to say I'm very happy to see that Shopify has come out with a new POS app.

I have found the current POS App lacking in a few areas such as the search function. When you search for something on Google you get a close to real time response, that functionality comes from (if I'm not mistaken) Elasticsearch. Elasticsearch has been around for over ten years and is widely used.

Curbside pickup is a nice feature to have and has been an option on other platforms for years. I'm happy to see it was added for those who needed it and in a pandemic who wouldn’t want to take extra precautions. The letdown (I might have misunderstood) going forward is this will be a paid for POS Pro $89 feature not a standard Shopify function. This pandemic is going to last a long time and impact peoples behaviors for years to come. I'm surprised that we would have to pay extra to keep our customers, communities, family, friends and ourselves safe physically and mentally.

These types of functions should be a standard feature in an app created so recently. 

My question is - to use these functions why do we have to pay two to three times more for what should be standard and in my opinion what we're already paying for?

Highlighted
1 0 2

1 - Agree entirely. Especialy not for $130 Australian dollars at todays exchange rate.
2 - $89 USD a month so for those of us outside of the USA it is significantly more expensive and fluctuates depending on exchange rate...  Can't understand for the life of me why Shopify doesn't offer domestic pricing for their subscriptions. I've been using Shopify for over 5 years and it is a significantly more expensive platform than what I signed up for.

3 - @Shopify will the upgraded design of POS Pro be available in POS Lite or will my store revert to the old design when I opt out of POS Pro due to affordability?

Tourist
9 0 19

I reached out to Shopify about the extra $89.00 per month. I asked why in a year when small business has had staggering hit after staggering hit do they want to more than double the price for the features we already are using? surprise surprise, no response. What really erks me is that the "new" Pro features aren't new at all. I use them currently with my current plan at $79 per month?!?! Now they want to cut my features in half, then charge more than double to basically let me continue to use said features.  Insert f bombs and flying objects here...

bye bye shopify

Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 19

the short answer is yes, you will have to pay the $89 per month to use the very features you already have. In looking and comparing the "new" app to the old, The biggest difference is the Pro plan. essentially, they are taking all the useful features in the current system away and that is the Pro plan. So you will get a new interface that looks more modern, but has half the functionality. Then you get to pay more than double your current rates to get those features back. Why doesn't anyone like this?!?! *SARCASM*

Highlighted
Excursionist
11 0 14

I just got the email today that my free trial was expiring. I didn't even realize that these new features were a trial and now I have to pay $89 on top of my $79 for this!! This is crazy and downright greedy of Shopify!

Highlighted
Excursionist
13 0 9

I'm also on the $79 a month plan and find the the upcharge that more than doubles the cost to be overly excessive for features that should be standard in any POS at a $79 a month price.

I still do not understand why curbside is an added feature and not just a standard feature. Covid in the US is on the rise in more than 30 states out of 50 and in some areas I'm sure are looking at another round of shutdowns. It doesn't seem to be the right direction for Shopify to go in my opinion putting money over safety.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Absolutely ridiculous! I agree that these features are ensuring we're able to continue serving our community safely. POS has always been lacking. As someone who has worked in corporate retail, big box retail, small business retail, and my own small business retail, these "pro" features should have been included in POS years ago! I have to pay $90 a month to run an exchange? That is basic retail! Come on, Shopify.. 

Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 8

I have been the biggest advocate for Shopify for years and recommended it to so many people... this is the first time I'm saying enough is enough. I can't believe that they are stripping basic POS functionality and slapping a 100%+ increase on price. It feels like a betrayal after all these years of loyal support. Everywhere I turn there is another $5USD, $10USD, $15USD a month for an app for a basic feature. But $89USD/MONTH ($1400+ AUD per year) to be able to make an exchange in our store? Forget it. 

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 3

I couldn't agree more - to have to pay an EXTRA $1000+ a year in order to offer something as simple as exchanging a product it extortionate. We are invested in Shopify as we use it for our online store & the integrated stock control is crucial to us. There is nothing in the 'Pro' package we can't manage without, except for the ability to offer our customers exchanges.

POS Pro - Is that supposed to be short for 'Professional'? Because here in the UK, I only have one card machine made available to me, and it's the same one every market stall holder using Shopify uses. It's a janky, poorly made, unprofessional looking device. The slot where cards are pushed inside has a lip so my customers can never find it. The buttons are stiff and elderly customers with weak hands can't press the buttons. Oh, and when we ask for a contactless payment, it DOESN'T BEEP. Everyone understands that a beep means the transaction is going through, I am so sick of having to explain to customers that my machine doesn't beep. It's anything but professional. I can't use another card provider, because Shopify will then charge me 1% of each sale.

I was SO impressed that Shopify rolled out the local pickup facility during lockdown - I really felt like they had done something to actually help my business. Little did I know that I would be paying such an extortionate rate for it later down the line - at a time when retail is essentially on its knees and Shopify will be lucky to keep half their retail customers. Those that don't close down will now have to seriously consider the alternatives available to them.  

Highlighted
Excursionist
14 0 7

This is the least of the issues. Without Shopify Pro you will not be able to do returns or exchanges. This is just a basic function of being in business. This is holding us hostage for $89 monthly.

0 Likes